Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Red dot sugestions

phique2000

I am looking to move into the carry optics division in IDPA.  I will be installing a Galloway optic mount plate on my Ruger SR-9 & I'm looking for red dot suggestions.  Nothing that will break the bank as I am just a casual shooter.  Mainly looking for a decent sight that won't get torn apart by the shock of slide movement.

Thanks in advance,

Edited by phique2000

Just made the switch myself. Went with vortex viper. Appeared to sit lower than the venom and maybe a taller window by looking on google. Its definately narrower though but hasnt bothered me at all. 6moa. Besides u cant beat $180 shipped on amazon. Ive seen them for 200 in the classifieds.

Until someone figures out a way to get a Holosun 510c on a slide, Leupold Delta Point Pro wins simply for the biggest window and brightest dot. 

Got a DPP on a M&P C.O.R.E. and another on a milled G17 slide. Both work great, and the big window is a huge deal.

Vortex Venom or Viper, Both are in the $200 range and lifetime no questions ask warranty. The Venom is a top load battery, while the Viper will require you taking it off to change. The Venom also has a auto brightness setting and is designed to co-witness on many pistols. I would agree on getting the 6 MOA on what ever you choose as you can picket up much faster. 

DK

They all die eventually, get one with a good warranty, two would be better.

Having to remove to replace batteries is pretty lame, they don't really give warning.

The Viper is a sleek little unit. But the battery is under it, and it gets awful glare from a low sun or similar light angles. 1st died at 3k, second has only just passed that mark.

Thanks to all for your replies.  I think I'm pretty much settled on the Venom.

I'm new to red dots, so forgive my lack of knowledge.  I know MOA is minute of angle, & 3 MOA means the dot will cover 3" at 100 yards, & 6 MOA 6".

I see a number of people recommend the 6 for a handgun.  Can you explain why the 3 wouldn't give a more precise aiming dot?

Thanks again

The 6 MOA dot is easier to pick up faster.  

So for USPSA, and running around, it's about picking up the dot and aiming faster.  it's still small enough for that.

The 3MOA will give you a more precise aiming point, but for some sports/events/activities, it's not necessary to be that precise.

Edited by LuvDog

24 minutes ago, Tampa-XD45 said:

I would check out the Holosun 507C.   32 MOA circle and/or 2 MOA dot.  Three different reticle combinations.

Thanks, Tampa, but the Holosun won't work with the Galloway plate.

LuvDog, Thanks for the education.  I'll be using it in the Carry Optics division in IDPA, so I guess 6MOA is the way to go.

12 hours ago, phique2000 said:

Thanks to all for your replies.  I think I'm pretty much settled on the Venom.

I'm new to red dots, so forgive my lack of knowledge.  I know MOA is minute of angle, & 3 MOA means the dot will cover 3" at 100 yards, & 6 MOA 6".

I see a number of people recommend the 6 for a handgun.  Can you explain why the 3 wouldn't give a more precise aiming dot?

Thanks again

Ditto what LuvDog said, in IDPA most of your shoots will be at pretty close yardage and being able to pick up the dot faster will help your scoring. I was thinking the same as you leaning towards a 3 MOA for more precise aiming, but I ended up going with the 6. I would bet that if you have a 50 yard shoot in a match it will be rare and then your dot is only covering 3 inches. 

Good Luck and Happy Shooting

DK

On 3/30/2019 at 8:17 AM, OPENB said:

Lifetime warranty, but it gets used often. I've had a Viper and a Venom, both had to go back for repair/replacement. Their Razor appears to be a cut above both.

I just put a Venom on a Ruger Mark IV Lite.  I think it will hold up for that application.  For slide ride beatings, I think RMR is as tough as they come.

4 hours ago, waktasz said:

Broke my viper after less than 500 rounds last night. Match tomorrow so I'm borrowing a DPP and have a 507c on the way, but it won't arrive until tomorrow afternoon

The 507c looks pretty good although a little small. Let us know what you think about it compared to the DPP

Went from the Vortex Venom to the 7.5 triangle dot on the DDP. After getting used to the triangle, I pick it up faster, can see it in harsh bright sunlight much easier. and use the tip of the triangle for those pesky long range targets. Too bad it will not fit on your mount. The Venom went through an entire season for me with no issues, I just want the larger acquisition dot/triangle after losing the dot in the light and a very light background.

On 4/5/2019 at 7:13 PM, Superpipe9 said:

The 507c looks pretty good although a little small. Let us know what you think about it compared to the DPP

507c arrived and I like it. I think I will end up liking the circle crosshair and dot combo.

Turns out the DPP I borrowed was just a regular Deltapoint, not a Pro. I am not a big fan of the triangle, but shooting it for the first time in a match was probably not ideal.