Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Uncontrollable target focus

Czgunsalot

So it’s been 2 or so years that I shot a match.  

This past few months I’ve shot 3 matches.  What I notice is I am rarely tracking my sight and more of a target focus.  

Before I took a Break I did notice I was getting good hits with just target focus (spray and pray).  

But since my 2 year break things are not going well with that technique.  I really don’t want to slow down but I may have to just to see the sights.

im shooting limited.

whats your thoughts on target focus and what distance do you apply that?

5 yards and in.. Maybe 7 depends on the shooter skill level. Evething else is front sight focus.. In Reality it should always be front sight focus.. You don't wnat to create bad habits from the beginning.. As your skills get better then you can target focus. 

Edited by Furrly

I literally couldn't train myself to front sight focus. Even in dry fire, to FS focus would take .3-.4 seconds. I was shooting 100% target focus and a hybrid focus on long targets. If you listen to Stoeger, he basically does this now. The difference is that his index is infinitely more refined than yours or mine, so he can 'get away with it' so to speak. So your choices are to slug through for thousands of rounds, eye exercises, etc. or....

Do what I did...

Switch to a division with a red dot (CO, Open, or PCC). Ta-da! 100% target focus is the correct procedure now. 

Just curious, do you wear prescription glasses?  Are you having trouble reading?

I do and I need to update my prescription shooting lens, the FS is starting to look fuzzy on occasion which looks like I'm focused on the target but I'm not.

Conversely I'm having a real hard time using optics, I've shot enough that I find the dot with no trouble but my trigger control doesn't match my dot sight control.  I'm sure I'm trying to snatch the shot.  Gotta work on it, or go back to iron.

58 minutes ago, Acer2428 said:

I literally couldn't train myself to front sight focus. Even in dry fire, to FS focus would take .3-.4 seconds. I was shooting 100% target focus and a hybrid focus on long targets. If you listen to Stoeger, he basically does this now. The difference is that his index is infinitely more refined than yours or mine, so he can 'get away with it' so to speak. So your choices are to slug through for thousands of rounds, eye exercises, etc. or....

Do what I did...

Switch to a division with a red dot (CO, Open, or PCC). Ta-da! 100% target focus is the correct procedure now. 

Yeah I heard Stoeger talk about that.

also I’m building a s2 co right now so we’ll see

19 minutes ago, pskys2 said:

Just curious, do you wear prescription glasses?  Are you having trouble reading?

I do and I need to update my prescription shooting lens, the FS is starting to look fuzzy on occasion which looks like I'm focused on the target but I'm not.

Conversely I'm having a real hard time using optics, I've shot enough that I find the dot with no trouble but my trigger control doesn't match my dot sight control.  I'm sure I'm trying to snatch the shot.  Gotta work on it, or go back to iron.

I’m at the beginning of getting some bad eye sight I have glasses but the prescription isn’t strong.  I don’t have trouble seeing thefront sight,  it’s more that my eyes don’t want to lol.

I think you'll be happy with the CO jobber. I switched to PCC but just built a CO Stock 2 to dabble with. Just in dryfire it's a 100% improvement. I quit the sport once due to my inability to FS focus and only came back for PCC, so I understand the dilemma. 

Edited by Acer2428

14 hours ago, Acer2428 said:

I think you'll be happy with the CO jobber. I switched to PCC but just built a CO Stock 2 to dabble with. Just in dryfire it's a 100% improvement. I quit the sport once due to my inability to FS focus and only came back for PCC, so I understand the dilemma. 

Awesome,  hopefully I get my slide back next month.

I'm pretty young (still in my 20s) but with terrible eyesight. I shoot a lot of precision at 25m and 50m where there's little leeway with your use of sights. Getting a good front sight focus seems to be very dependent on lighting conditions for me.

I have struggled with this for years , even wearing reader lenses to "force" me to focus on the sight I end up focusing as close to the target as I can.  this year I have finally given up and am just going with what my eyes want to do anyway. what I am finding is that I can see the sights just enough to know what they are doing and I just need to make myself pay attention to what I am seeing. I am finding that I am more accurate shooting full target focus with blurry sights than I was trying to focus on the front sight with a blurry target, this works for me at all ranges.

The hardest part for me, is remembering that I need to pay attention to what I see of the sights.

I use 100% target focus.  It doesn't mean I don't see my sights aligned on the target, just that the target is clear and the sight are fuzzy. 

You still have to see your sights, you still have to aim and call your shots.  If all you are doing is looking at the target and not your sights, then you will never improve