Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Czechmate ---rounds nose diving?

Truckin_Thumper

Any of you Czechmate shooters have your rounds jam up? 

Seems mine jam nose first right into the feed ramp. Never have an issue with round nose ammo, just JHP. 
Various brands. 
Not all the time, but at random, and usually only at a match. 

Could be on the second shot of the mag, or cant even get to one shot. 

Polished feed ramp, I have all new springs due in today, but I dont think that is the issue. I could be wrong.  

With double stack mags, this problem is typically caused by the double stack to single transition area of the mag tube. If you load the mag and see a gap between the top round and next round, you have a mag tube problem.

Mag tuning will fix this problem.  I had the same thing on my Czechmate, and sent the mags to Grams ... poof ... problem solved.  As I understand it, on the CZ is the fact that the magazines tolerances are the same for 40 and 9mm TS bodies, which allows some slop when you run the big sticks with reduced springs.  Just a little magazine tuning fixes the problem area, and the problem goes away.

In a week or two, the new spring will look just like the old spring. You will never need more than two big stick on a stage, most of the time you will need one big stick and one 20 rounder.  Send two big sticks to Grams Engineering, they will come back and run flawlessly. I think the cost is $8 each. http://gramsengineering.com/services.php

I sent my mags to Bevin a few years ago.  I think it was $10 per mag and I added his springs and followers that where around $16.  Quick turnaround.  CZ85 is right, you will eventually need to tune the mags. Trust us!!!

I sent him my Czechmate mags a couple months ago.   $20 per tube to reshape them, $18.90 per spring/follower and he was very quick. Including shipping time each way, they were back in about a week. Feeding perfectly ever since with 23 and 29 rounds with CZC basepads.  

My 20 rounders were fine until I put on CZC basepads, springs and followers. They immediately began nose diving. I sent him all my Czechmate mags, 20s and 26s. Now they’re 23s and 29s and I’ve not had one issue since. 

I actually tuned all my mags. I had no idea how bad the lips get out of whack. 

I started with one 20 rounder that worked flawless and matched the rest to look the same. Once I did that, no issues for the most part, but I also dab a bit of lube on the feed ramp that is already highly polished. 

BUT, I find that some bullet shapes will not work no matter what. Very rounded projectiles wont feed into the chamber. Rounds closer to the shape of store bought 115gr work like a champ. 

At this point, and having strictly CZs, this (both) Czechmate is stupid picky and one may just get the axe, and the other get bumped to Carry Optics. 

On 3/31/2019 at 9:12 AM, Truckin_Thumper said:

At this point, and having strictly CZs, this (both) Czechmate is stupid picky and one may just get the axe, and the other get bumped to Carry Optics.   

If you reach the point where you want to put that CM to pasture, LMK.

On 4/1/2019 at 1:34 PM, muncie21 said:

If you reach the point where you want to put that CM to pasture, LMK.

Had a local shop I deal with work a trade on a Tanfo Witness Xtreme II. SO, you will have to see them. 

I kept one of the Czechmates until i sort out all the newly needed ammo lessons. 

I am going to run Open in our outlaw matches and run Carry Optics with the Tanfo. 

I will say I have most of the mag issues sorted out but still a few more tweaks are needed. 
Ended up taking 8th out of 53 in our local match last night. So, the CZ runs great, but had one issue with my big stick, chalked it up to one too many rounds in it. 

1 hour ago, Truckin_Thumper said:

So, the CZ runs great, but had one issue with my big stick, chalked it up to one too many rounds in it. 

Seriously, have Bevin Gram tune your mags and use his springs and followers in the 170mm mags.  When he tuned mine a few years ago, he told me if I forced it, I could probably fit 30 in the tube, but he told me not to do it and stick with 29.  Mine are reloadable with 29 if I ever had to do it.  I have never had any problems with my mags or feeding issues once Bevin tuned the mags.  Just saying!!!!!

On 3/28/2019 at 9:42 AM, Truckin_Thumper said:

Any of you Czechmate shooters have your rounds jam up? 

Seems mine jam nose first right into the feed ramp. Never have an issue with round nose ammo, just JHP. 
Various brands. 

I have never had any issues, however, I only use round nose. Instead of mag tuning, why not just stick with RN? Problem solved as you stated that you never had the issue with RN.

1 minute ago, abb1 said:

I have never had any issues, however, I only use round nose. Instead of mag tuning, why not just stick with RN? Problem solved as you stated that you never had the issue with RN.

A gun should run no matter what bullets one uses.

1 minute ago, Truckin_Thumper said:

you would think. 
If I had a better macro lens, I could show you were the bad JHP etched the feed ramp. So bullet shape does have something to do with it. 

Somewhere there is a problem with the gun or mags if it won’t feed JHP. Do all of your mags jam with JHP?

Just now, Sarge said:

Somewhere there is a problem with the gun or mags if it won’t feed JHP. Do all of your mags jam with JHP?

not all of them, I dont think any at this point, as I have them tuned pretty well. 

I did have one jam, but I am chalking that up to new springs. One less round and I could not duplicate it. 

5 minutes ago, Sarge said:

Another possibility that comes to mind is that the COL is too long. Have you tried playing around with the COL?

9 minutes ago, abb1 said:

Another possibility that comes to mind is that the COL is too long. Have you tried playing around with the COL?

yeah, went short and long, long.......actually, lets go with no. 

It may have been the mag issue and not the ammo. Every thing loaded now is around 1.15 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

I'm a lefty, and in my experience with early TSs and CMs, nosedives were common when I flipped the mag release to the right side for left thumb manipulation, for 20 round and big stick magazines. It didn't happen when the mag release button was on the left.

On 3/28/2019 at 6:13 PM, selecw said:

The mag tubes need tuning as stated.

Grams or DIY ...

👆

A low-level production and a bad  quality control for this product makes it work quite borderline. Depends on luck what you got.😉