Corey

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 4/25/2020 at 10:37 PM, KelsonAK said:

Has anyone run into CCI clean hi vel that is actually subsonic in the Christmas packs? I picked some up advertised as 1230fps that doesn’t crack out of a silenced gun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I shot the red CCI Clean at our last Steel Challenge Match and was very pleased with it. It seems very consistent.  Recoil is about the same as my normal fodder, CCI Blazer 40 grain.  Much cleaner without having all that wax on the bullet.

I only have 600 more rounds so I'm saving them for a match that counts unless they become available soon.  So hard to find anything these days.

Has anyone else had any problems running CCI AR Tactical in pistol mags?  It seems not to refresh fast enough in my 22/45 magazines.  I.e., if you pull down the plunger stud with a finger, the rounds will hang up and very slowly move to the top of the magazine instead of springing up immediately with other ammo.

1 hour ago, apoc4lypse said:

Has anyone else had any problems running CCI AR Tactical in pistol mags?  It seems not to refresh fast enough in my 22/45 magazines.  I.e., if you pull down the plunger stud with a finger, the rounds will hang up and very slowly move to the top of the magazine instead of springing up immediately with other ammo.

...when did you last clean your mags?  :)

I'm asking this because I've seen plenty of different kinds of ammo do precisely that in mags---much of which occurs in winter, due to the coating on the bullets sometimes getting scraped off on the interior of the front of the magazines and then hardening up in the cold, which makes the bullets hang up when the gun cycles.    It isn't specific to the CCI stuff.

When that happens, I'd suggest:

1) pulling apart your mags, and running a brush through them to clean out anything stuck to the insides,

2) in winter, keeping your pistol mags in a cooler with a couple of handwarmers.
(Also, after loading the mag, smack it so the bullets settle to the back of the mag.  Depending on your mags, this might help.)

Keeping the mags warm in the winter can make a HUGE difference in their reliability.  I normally keep them in a cooler between stages, and stick them in my pocket (with another handwarmer) when I'm in the shooting box.  Doing that is often the difference between a gun that runs, and a lot of click/rack/bang/click/rack/bang strings of fire.

I cleaned them a few days before trying the AR Tactical.  But i'll probably give them another cleaning as it's been a while since then.  Usually I use a patch on a slotted patch holder with solvent; I'll try sticking a bore brush in there instead.

Good idea with the handwarmers though.  It doesn't get super cold where I am but I'll try it out.

2 hours ago, apoc4lypse said:

I cleaned them a few days before trying the AR Tactical.  But i'll probably give them another cleaning as it's been a while since then.  Usually I use a patch on a slotted patch holder with solvent; I'll try sticking a bore brush in there instead.

Good idea with the handwarmers though.  It doesn't get super cold where I am but I'll try it out.

I scrub pistol mags out with a mag cleaning brush and then use dry lube on them. I scrub them with dish washing soap and hot water. Using solvent would be pretty messy with a brush

Edited by Gregg K

• 2 years later...
On 4/4/2019 at 10:30 AM, cferree said:

I use CCI Mini Mag solids in both my RFPO and RFRO (Ruger MKIII with some Volks stuff & a Ruger 10/22 Target Lite w/Aviom stock).

The rifle won't run CCI SV consistently, but my pistol will.  I actually like SV better, but I've had QC issues with the first case I purchased.

They all fire, but from the sound only, not chrono data, some rounds have less powder.  The typically will fail to extract.  This mainly happens on cold days.

I'm about to try a couple of the Eley SV loads for functionality.  I know the accuracy will be more than good enough.

FYI, I have comps on both guns, so I'm not worried about timers picking up the report.

Is the CCI SV problem ongoing?  I'm suddenly having problems with my RFPO gun and CCI SV ammo.  Like you, some of the rounds sound funny and appear to have less powder.  The ammo was purchased directly from CCI within the past three months.  Those rounds are causing stovepipes all too frequently.  Last match I ended up with around 6 or 7 problem rounds in 3 stages.  NOT ACCEPTABLE.

I'm also on the lookout for match ammo that is a lot more reliable.

Ruger 22/45 MkIII.  CHanged out trigger, but otherwise stock. Even the loader chamber flag is still in.
Havent had issues with mine running much of anything various brands of hollow points... Remington buckets, winchester 555, American eagle,,,  What I like about it,, load up and shoot. SPray it don with oil every so often