Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sig X5 factory barrel vs. Bar Stow barrel

microham

I replaced a couple of my P320 X5 barrels with Barsto. Some things I noticed, the chamber is significantly tighter than OEM, I ended up sending the barrels back and had them reamed out for my ammo. The barrels are faster than OEM, by 30-40 fps. They are much easier to clean. They shoot marginally tighter groups, better, but for action pistol probably not all that noticeable.

Edited by Rich406

Is the cost of a Bar Stow gunsmith fit barrel and related expenses worth the cost over the factory barrel accuracy wise?
Thanks for your response. 

Strader touts the accuracy of the x series barrel with the “pretension” of the hood and lug fit, making it seem like a match fit barrel. Take it for what it’s worth, but the accuracy reputation I’ve come to see from everyone has been that it’s good enough if not great. If you’re shooting Bianchi cup with it then every little thing counts, but uspsa/idpa it should serve you well as is. Enjoy it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recently purchased and installed a Bar-Sto barrel in my X5, and I am not sure I can say that it is worth the investment. I paid $240 for the barrel, plus an additional $100 to get it fitted and throated. As @Rich406 mentioned, the throat was so short, none of my ammo would plunk.

The accuracy is *MINIMALLY* better, but certainly within a margin of error, so I am calling it a push. Follow up shots are slightly quicker when using the GreyGuns fat guide rod and 14# spring, but I think with some recoil spring experimentation, I could improve the performance if the SIG barrel.

I love the Bar-Sto barrel, don't get me wrong, but after spending the money and doing some extensive testing, it is not worth the cost of my application and level of shooting.

Bar-Sto barrel on the left, SIG barrel on the right. 10 yards. I clicked the red dot one click to the left before shooting the SIG barrel, so the group is shifted slightly left vs. the Bar-Sto:

ydW4SmX.jpg

My x5 is pretty accurate. 

No chamber support tho so Ill be getting a barsto when I can. The savings in brass will pay for it in no time. 

Here is a 25 yard group I shot on the weekend. It would be better if my POS 3 moa romeo didnt flare out to about 10 moa. Safe to say that flier up top was on me. 

Im keen to give it a try with my dpp. The dot is much more precise. 

SmartSelect_20190403-093718_Gallery.jpg

1 hour ago, dansedgli said:

My x5 is pretty accurate. 

No chamber support tho so Ill be getting a barsto when I can. The savings in brass will pay for it in no time. 

Here is a 25 yard group I shot on the weekend. It would be better if my POS 3 moa romeo didnt flare out to about 10 moa. Safe to say that flier up top was on me. 

Im keen to give it a try with my dpp. The dot is much more precise. 

SmartSelect_20190403-093718_Gallery.jpg

I wish I could do that with any kind of barrel

In my three X5s the stock barrels have all proven to be more than accurate enough for most gun games, although, one of them doesn't like the 135gr bullets I like to shoot as much as the other two. By "doesn't like as much" I mean it shoots closer to 3" at 25yds vs. the sub 2" groups I get from the other two. I still need to mess around with it more to see if I can remedy that. Sig makes very good barrels in my experience, and with that I would say that most of the time your money and time is best spent finding a load that shoots well out of them.....and that's not too tough.

On 4/2/2019 at 2:43 PM, Doublehelix said:

I recently purchased and installed a Bar-Sto barrel in my X5, and I am not sure I can say that it is worth the investment. I paid $240 for the barrel, plus an additional $100 to get it fitted and throated. As @Rich406 mentioned, the throat was so short, none of my ammo would plunk.

The accuracy is *MINIMALLY* better, but certainly within a margin of error, so I am calling it a push. Follow up shots are slightly quicker when using the GreyGuns fat guide rod and 14# spring, but I think with some recoil spring experimentation, I could improve the performance if the SIG barrel.

I love the Bar-Sto barrel, don't get me wrong, but after spending the money and doing some extensive testing, it is not worth the cost of my application and level of shooting.

Bar-Sto barrel on the left, SIG barrel on the right. 10 yards. I clicked the red dot one click to the left before shooting the SIG barrel, so the group is shifted slightly left vs. the Bar-Sto:

ydW4SmX.jpg

To my eyes the Bar-Sto barrel looks like a little more than minimally better. Even if you remove the two lower left fliers from the factory group the Bar-Sto barrel looks like a slightly better grouping. Not an overwhelming improvement perhaps but I'd rather have the left group than the right. Worth the price of admission? I guess it depends on the individual. Maybe the factory barrel is good enough for me but if I had money to burn I might try the Bar-Sto out someday.