Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Frame weight in Carry Optics allowed?

chinnerj

Hey guys,

I've searched everywhere and I can't seem to find an answer. Would an SJC/Toni systems frame weight be allowed in carry optics? There's nothing in the rules banning frame attachments (other than the light rule), and the only requirement is that the gun be under 45 oz unloaded...which is one of the only differences between CO and production. I was hoping that someone here could give me a definitive answer before I make the purchase.

Thanks.

15 minutes ago, chinnerj said:

Hey guys,

I've searched everywhere and I can't seem to find an answer. Would an SJC/Toni systems frame weight be allowed in carry optics? There's nothing in the rules banning frame attachments (other than the light rule), and the only requirement is that the gun be under 45 oz unloaded...which is one of the only differences between CO and production. I was hoping that someone here could give me a definitive answer before I make the purchase.

Thanks.

Both Carry Optics and Production have sections in their Appendices specifically stating that any modification must be specifically allowed by part of the rules or it will be considered prohibited. Since there’s nothing in the CO appendix allowing frame weights they are automatically prohibited and will get you bumped to Open. 

Hey guys,

Thanks.
Good attempt at trying to game it lol but no. plus, it's 9mm [emoji58]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, chinnerj said:

There's nothing in the rules banning frame attachments (other than the light rule)

In this case, you'd need to find the rule that specifically allows it, otherwise it's not legal.

42 minutes ago, mreed911 said:

Why is it BS?  The division is functionally "production optics."

Weight limit. If there is going to be a weight limit, one should be able to make their gun weigh that amount. 45oz is 45oz. You can trim weight off a stock 2 or 3, but can’t add a frame weight to a Glock to get anywhere close to 45oz. 

If the division really was “production optics” the weight limit should mimic the Production rules. 

And then you end up with two CO division like IPSC based off of weight.... dumb. Want it to mimic Prod rules? Then you can't run the frame weight. Tah dah, you're already there. Want it to mimic Prod rules, oh you have to be within 4oz. Tah dah, no frame weight for you. No frame weight for you, per the rules, sorry.

What is even dumber? That the most popular manufacturer of Production guns has an Optic Ready model, but as it won't make weight they refuse to import it.

Choose to shoot a light gun, you deal with it. Choose to shoot a heavy gun, you deal with it. Work within the rules or work to change them.

Edited by rowdyb

11 minutes ago, rowdyb said:

And then you end up with two CO division like IPSC based off of weight.... dumb. Want it to mimic Prod rules? Then you can't run the frame weight. Tah dah, you're already there. Want it to mimic Prod rules, oh you have to be within 4oz. Tah dah, no frame weight for you. No frame weight for you, per the rules, sorry.

What is even dumber? That the most popular manufacturer of Production guns has an Optic Ready model, but as it won't make weight they refuse to import it.

Choose to shoot a light gun, you deal with it. Choose to shoot a heavy gun, you deal with it. Work within the rules or work to change them.

I think it should stay as one division, but either be one set, arbitrary weight; or be a certain weight over factory. 

It’s obviously not a big deal to me, as I’m still shooting a Glock with some weight added to it, but I can’t figure a good reason for the current rule. 

1 hour ago, floater said:

Show me where it "is allowed". Just asking.

Frame weights are not allowed. It comes down to whatever section of the CO appendix that says “unless specifically authorized.....” and so on. 

Edited by HCH

• 4 months later...