Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow 2 carry optics weight problem

jeremy kemlo

And yes, I saw the gun where the guide rod tunnel with lightening cut on a Shadow 2 used without a buffer eventually broke after a year and half. This rare but actual occurrence could have been totally mitigated by allowing guns based on their presence on the Prod approved list alone, rather than also adding an artificial weight ceiling.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It does not make much sense. The name ‘Carry Optics’, implied a light-weight gun that would be carried for every day use. But that concept went out the window with the 140mm magazines and higher capacity. 

With all the other alterations that have been made to the division, removing the weight limit would seem to be a reasonable change to make. As long as the base gun is on the Production list then I think it should be good to go. 

I don't know, there's a certain fun aspect to getting a gun to make weight just barely. The thrill of the build.

But TBH the weight limit is self-enforcing because even my 41oz CO AccuShadow feels so much more agile than my 44.8oz S2. I can't imagine how clunky the CZC A01 in CO with it's 51oz base weight with regular base pads would feel. Would be like trying to transition targets holding a sledgehammer.

If CO followed production rules for weight then you'd have to address the mag limits too, which I don't like. CO as Poor Man's Open is fine for me, I like having a lot of rounds in the mag. Removing weight would start an arm's race to make more heavy ass 9mm.

25 minutes ago, Wrecks said:

I can't imagine how clunky the CZC A01 in CO with it's 51oz base weight with regular base pads would feel. Would be like trying to transition targets holding a sledgehammer.

You haven’t handled many of the steel-grip equipped limited guns that are currently in fashion.

Many of them are high 40s to mid 50s on weight. ;) 

On 5/19/2019 at 11:23 PM, BritinUSA said:

It does not make much sense. The name ‘Carry Optics’, implied a light-weight gun that would be carried for every day use. But that concept went out the window with the 140mm magazines and higher capacity. 

With all the other alterations that have been made to the division, removing the weight limit would seem to be a reasonable change to make. As long as the base gun is on the Production list then I think it should be good to go. 

This.  

Some would ask/wonder if there was any reason for the initial weight limit? Was anyone in the industry pushing for a weight limit because they had a new, lightweight, optic ready gun that they wanted to sell a lot of? Was there any deals made?

name change that won't hurt anyone would be renaming it Production Optics. Get's uspsa/ipsc division name for it closer to all on the same page and let IPDA call theirs "carry".

rules clarification. if your gun in on the Prod list you can shoot it in Prod optic with the factory version  of it or with your own cut/plate.

rules clarification. gun, optic and empty 140 mag must weigh within 4 oz of the Production gun weight. keeping it close to the weight rule already in place for Prod.

this wouldn't exclude very many who already have invested in the gun(s) for the division. likely only those with a polymer gun who added considerable weight to it.

and it would be fun to say you're shooting PO, pi$$ed off division.

Edited by rowdyb

On May 21, 2019 at 9:32 AM, B_RAD said:

This.  

Some would ask/wonder if there was any reason for the initial weight limit? Was anyone in the industry pushing for a weight limit because they had a new, lightweight, optic ready gun that they wanted to sell a lot of? Was there any deals made?

Remember the initial weight limit was just 35 oz , limit was increased to 45 oz partly so we wouldn’t all have to worry so much about making weight.   Only a very few gun models have to worry about weight now, much easier than before.

Edited by eric4069

Just adopt ipsc rules. 15 round limit. Production list. Easy fix.

After all what does the fcuker weigh with a  full 140mm mag and 154g syntech in it!

Kind of makes the weight limit of the gun pointless.

59 minutes ago, ringram said:

Just adopt ipsc rules. 15 round limit. Production list. Easy fix.

After all what does the fcuker weigh with a  full 140mm mag and 154g syntech in it!

Kind of makes the weight limit of the gun pointless.

Here ya go fam

fEQ1nbf.jpg

+22 rounds 150g Syntech

aG8PUAN.jpg

Brand new to CZ so here goes!!!!

Bought a Shadow2 , gray receiver blued upper.

Want to use it for C/O 

Have a mill.

Easiest way to loose weight?  Take the weight out of the receiver dust cover?

i.e. almost no set up, done quick all at once and ready to go (at least weight wise?

Where do I get the lightweight LOK palm swells?

On 5/21/2019 at 1:43 PM, rowdyb said:

name change that won't hurt anyone would be renaming it Production Optics. Get's uspsa/ipsc division name for it closer to all on the same page and let IPDA call theirs "carry".

rules clarification. if your gun in on the Prod list you can shoot it in Prod optic with the factory version  of it or with your own cut/plate.

rules clarification. gun, optic and empty 140 mag must weigh within 4 oz of the Production gun weight. keeping it close to the weight rule already in place for Prod.

this wouldn't exclude very many who already have invested in the gun(s) for the division. likely only those with a polymer gun who added considerable weight to it.

and it would be fun to say you're shooting PO, pi$$ed off division.

That makes way too much sense to ever happen. 

2 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Nevermind. Their instagram was faster. :D 

Some others...

Ha! That’s actually my gun. 

Heres another pic if it helps, though. 

364982B6-C838-4271-8AF1-576C949BAC74.jpeg

25 minutes ago, chenault said:

The one with the orange background is mine.  I put bogie grips on it which is why it’s taken from that angle 

Nice... Yours must have been in the same batch. 

How are are you liking yours?

3 hours ago, Ontos said:

Nice... Yours must have been in the same batch. 

How are are you liking yours?

I got mine a few weeks ago and so far I really like the gun.  Switched from a x-5 so it’s taken a bit of adjustment

On 5/31/2019 at 12:04 PM, Ontos said:

I just had Fire4Effect build mine... So far I couldn’t be happier. 

737229E2-6D0F-4261-9D96-02FB66582D85.jpeg

That is one sweet s2 would that make it legal for carry optics in IDPA or does the slide cuts. She it illegal going by esp rules even tho it makes weight ? . Also what grips are those ? And cycling issues/ what recoil spring you using ?

On 6/2/2019 at 1:34 PM, urmaker45 said:

That is one sweet s2 would that make it legal for carry optics in IDPA or does the slide cuts. She it illegal going by esp rules even tho it makes weight ? . Also what grips are those ? And cycling issues/ what recoil spring you using ?

Stock spring and zero issues with about 1k through it the last month. 

The grips are nice, and very pretty but I prefer the LOK thin Bogies so I’ll end up selling these. 

As far as IDPA, I have no idea.