Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow 2 carry optics weight problem

jeremy kemlo

Just shot my first level two match in Clovis this past weekend. The chrono and gun check was our stage III. They let me bring my gun over to check the weight before I started shooting. Good thing because the gun was overweight on their scale. CZ shadow two large safety lock palm swell grips, which I believe are lighter than the stock grips.  milled by Cz  custom for Carry optics,  delta point pro sight. Mecgar 17 mag with Taylor freelance plus 5 pad and grams guts. After removing the metal shroud on the delta point  I was still slightly overweight. Remove the front sight  and it came to exactly 45 oz.  I thought it was supposed to make weight a little easier than this.  I may need to look into getting the lok palm swell light grips,   Has this been the case for any one else or could the scale have been off.  

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, jeremy kemlo said:

Just shot my first level two match in Clovis this past weekend. The chrono and gun check was our stage III. They let me bring my gun over to check the weight before I started shooting. Good thing because the gun was overweight on their scale. CZ shadow two large safety lock palm swell grips, which I believe are lighter than the stock grips.  milled by Cz  custom for Carry optics,  delta point pro sight. Mecgar 17 mag with Taylor freelance plus 5 pad and grams guts. After removing the metal shroud on the delta point  I was still slightly overweight. Remove the front sight  and it came to exactly 45 oz.  I thought it was supposed to make weight a little easier than this.  I may need to look into getting the lok palm swell light grips,   Has this been the case for any one else or could the scale have been off.  

Every little bit helps, and not all scales are accurate.

What do those taylor extensions weigh? 

Are the lok grips the lightweight ones?

My gun comes to 44.65 on one of my scales and 44.80 on another. (CZC Cuts, DPP w/ Shroud, LW Loks, TTI extensions)

Seems like CZ custom should find a way to remove a little more weight from the slide. After paying that much money to have it carry optics ready for a delta point pro it seems silly to have to start changing guide rods or removing safeties or removing protective shrouds or  finding grips that are lighter than factory in order to make weight. Why not remove a little more weight while it’s there. Looks like the new Carry  optics slide from primary machine has removed quite a bit more weight.  

Anyone know what the weight difference is between the CZ custom carry optic slide and the primary machine Carry optics slide?

8 hours ago, rowdyb said:

Running the slim safeties and changing basepads will yield you the best weight savings from what your set up reads to me.

What base pads would you recommend.  I believe the grips are already lighter than the factory aluminum grips but I could change them for the palm swell lightweight grips.  Hopefully I can leave the large safety on there. I have gotten used to that and rather like it. Maybe with changing the base pads and grips I would be able to put the shroud back on the site.Maybe with changing the base pads and grips I would be able to put the shroud back on the delta point pro 

55 minutes ago, jeremy kemlo said:

Seems like CZ custom should find a way to remove a little more weight from the slide. After paying that much money to have it carry optics ready for a delta point pro it seems silly to have to start changing guide rods or removing safeties or removing protective shrouds or  finding grips that are lighter than factory in order to make weight. Why not remove a little more weight while it’s there. Looks like the new Carry  optics slide from primary machine has removed quite a bit more weight.  

Anyone know what the weight difference is between the CZ custom carry optic slide and the primary machine Carry optics slide?

I have a new S2 slide at CZC now to be milled, with the plate for a DPP. I was assured by Stuart that it would make weight, so I will see

when I get it back. 

30 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

I’m not saying to change it, but also be aware you’re running the heaviest dot by a good margin.

1.95oz for the DPP.

1.1oz for the RTS2.

I run the DPP - but my gun is polymer, so I can’t get it heavy enough. ;) 

DPP is heaviest dot of the current popular ones. The CZC cut is base on DPP dot , CZC ext. pad and no other changes coming in at 44.8

Have no knowledge of other manufactures pads or grips. There are options for lighter grips, guide rods, other strategies to lose weight.

Consideration for how you cut, where you cut for longevity of the slide .

if building from the ground up with whole pistol, weight can be verified.

1 hour ago, jeremy kemlo said:

What base pads would you recommend.  I believe the grips are already lighter than the factory aluminum grips but I could change them for the palm swell lightweight grips.  Hopefully I can leave the large safety on there. I have gotten used to that and rather like it. Maybe with changing the base pads and grips I would be able to put the shroud back on the site.Maybe with changing the base pads and grips I would be able to put the shroud back on the delta point pro 

my shadow 2 CO build thread has all that stuff in it.

Try also the CZ 18 rnds mags with TTI +2, they are lighter than the Mecgar 17 with +4/5 basepads. I think the Mecgar setup is close to 1oz more, but not sure. Mine was milled by CZC, it came in at 44.7 oz with all stock factory parts (grips, guide rod, front sight, preferred thin safety) and an intact Leupold DPP.

8 hours ago, jeremy kemlo said:

I don’t know the Difference yet, but I’ll do a write up on my Shadow 2 once I get it back.

31 minutes ago, chenault said:

I decided to get the lightening job done by fire4effect.  Looks like they take quite a bit more weight off and no optics plate is necessary.  I'll report back when I have it in hand.

FYI, the gun will shoot a bit flatter when you strip weight from the slide, but the recoil will lose softness - it’ll feel snappier.

How do I know? ;) 

FD0C3F8D-EDE1-4666-B4A4-D3C7274D6A49.thumb.jpeg.778b88e69a67fa3aafaf5caad39e1019.jpeg

This gun is under 30oz, and the slide is 1oz lighter than factory WITH the dot accounted for. We took 3 ounces out of the slide.

It’s really flat **if you grip hard** but soft loads feel like you’re firing factory ammo.

The Shadow2 is heavy enough to mute most of that increase in sharpness, but it’ll be there a little bit. It’s worth it to have a really flat gun, though!

Edited by MemphisMechanic

On 3/28/2019 at 9:31 AM, chenault said:

I decided to get the lightening job done by fire4effect.  Looks like they take quite a bit more weight off and no optics plate is necessary.  I'll report back when I have it in hand.

Waiting for mine, too... Should be in the next couple of weeks. 

56 minutes ago, Red_Dot said:

Very different size weight and balance

really? I have not noticed that. I shot Production with Shadow 1 for years before I switched to Shadow 2.  

• 4 weeks later...

I just got my slide back from CZC.  DPP mounted, with shield, and with 17rd MG mag and MG extended base plate, thin safeties, etc, weighs in at 45.5.  Not real happy.

Going to try first:

- poly guide rod ( .5 oz)

- LW Lok grips (.4 oz)

- remove front sight (? oz)

If this doesnt get me closer to 44.5, will try the TTI extensions next.

Other suggestions?  (I could not find Rowdyb's CO build thread, if anyone has a link that would be great.)

Edited by GregJ