Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Barrel Fit?

ezra650

Does this barrel need to be replaced? It's in a 9major 5" open gun. KKM barrel. This is not wear. The top end was just built by a smith and has 2k rounds on it. I just traded a good running low mileage 2011 limited gun and $200 for this. Did I mess up? I mean look at the radius on the ramp. A friend of mine saw the pics and was concerned and mentioned getting a new barrel.

20190326_223511_1553657271503_resized.jpg

20190326_223536_1553657269656_resized.jpg

no u don't need to change this barrel.

it kooks like this corners was removed with  file /rough stone  by gunsmith or that was on the barrel from the factory . it's not look nice ,but  u can live with it.😉

Edited by yigal

Probably removed the burr that develops from the barrel whacking the magazine when the gun cycles and the barrel moves all the way to the rear at link down and stopping on the VIS.  Nothing to worry about.

That’s actually a fairly mild corner trim (relative to many) to avoid the barrel hitting the mag.  

The lighting of the back of the chamber makes it look like it crazy stepped but it may only be a couple thou difference which may look unfinished but function perfectly.

the only true thing that matters is whether it runs or not, then decide if you can live with a keeper or not

5 hours ago, jpl said:

Probably removed the burr that develops from the barrel whacking the magazine when the gun cycles and the barrel moves all the way to the rear at link down and stopping on the VIS.  Nothing to worry about.

5 hours ago, drewbeck said:

That’s actually a fairly mild corner trim (relative to many) to avoid the barrel hitting the mag.  

The lighting of the back of the chamber makes it look like it crazy stepped but it may only be a couple thou difference which may look unfinished but function perfectly.

the only true thing that matters is whether it runs or not, then decide if you can live with a keeper or not

6 hours ago, yigal said:

no u don't need to change this barrel.

it kooks like this corners was removed with  file /rough stone  by gunsmith or that was on the barrel from the factory . it's not look nice ,but  u can live with it.😉

Thank you for the advice guys. I test fired the gun beforehand and all seemed to be good. I can live with it and won't lose any sleep over it. It seems that everything locks up tight/correctly, but the machining/filing is all rough and sloppy. Needs to be finished. Would it be appropriate to sand the rough spots out with 600/1000 grit sandpaper? I'm about to duracoat the gun and figured I'd get everything smooth as it can be so I don't have to hack on it afterwards.

It really depends on where exactly you are going to sand it.  It may have no impact or may totally change the lockup and functioning of the gun depending on where you remove material.

its important to know what you’re doing and know how changing each area will impact the barrel fit. It may seem non consequential but you could be changing things dramatically by accident.

its one of those things no one can answer unless they have the gun in front of them and can see exactly how the gun was fit and what they could safely do to the finish without changing the fit.

And why does it matter what this part of the barrel "Looks like"? If its fit properly and functions reliably, who cares what it looks like.

Sanding or polishing the "rough spots" on gun parts that don't show externally is like trying to make a car engine pistons or connecting rods shiny for no good reason at all. Or you can make everything "Shiny" and risk screwing up the fit on the parts which would ultimately make the accuracy or reliability worse. Fashion or function, pick one.

2 hours ago, CHA-LEE said:

And why does it matter what this part of the barrel "Looks like"? If its fit properly and functions reliably, who cares what it looks like.

Sanding or polishing the "rough spots" on gun parts that don't show externally is like trying to make a car engine pistons or connecting rods shiny for no good reason at all. Or you can make everything "Shiny" and risk screwing up the fit on the parts which would ultimately make the accuracy or reliability worse. Fashion or function, pick one.

Its shoddy machining, not the barrel but other spots on the gun. I'm more concerned about parts on the inside of the gun. I could care less if they are shiny on the inside. I just want it correct. But if the guns already been running for 2k rounds I see your point. 

1 hour ago, rhebert said:

It looks like the extractor is hitting the top edge of the cutout

I agree. I noticed that as well. A small divot where it looks like the extractor is hammering the barrel when going back into battery. It's an aftec that was probably just dropped in the gun. 

Is the gun still in the white?  It sounds like the gun could be truly “not finished” yet which some more local smiths will have a person go test drive the gun for a few thousand rounds before they do the final parts finishing, blasting, coatings etc.

The truth is almost all machining and machined parts (unless ground) look shoddy when they comes off the machine.  

Youd be shocked at what tool marks are living and hiding behind most mild media blasted parts.

9 hours ago, drewbeck said:

Is the gun still in the white?  It sounds like the gun could be truly “not finished” yet which some more local smiths will have a person go test drive the gun for a few thousand rounds before they do the final parts finishing, blasting, coatings etc.

The truth is almost all machining and machined parts (unless ground) look shoddy when they comes off the machine.  

Youd be shocked at what tool marks are living and hiding behind most mild media blasted parts.

Yep still all in the white. The top end is only about 2k rounds old.