Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First Tanfoglio

Fo0

@Apolo, you want to go over prepping the GT for him?

Short answer, very slight reduction.  I'd ensure it was adjusted right and leave it.  Have you watched MemphisMechanics 4part video series on tanfo modifications? It's good.

6 hours ago, Fo0 said:

just watched the MemphisMechanic videos

Does anyone make a 170mm magazine or extension

and do I need 9mm or 38 super magazines - caliber is 38 super using 38 super comp

Tanfo (i believe) sells a 170mm mag that works well with 38s and not as well with 9mm.  I also think Taylor Freelance makes extensions for the 38s mags to reach 170.

Contact John Durso to get a much better comp to make the gun stupid flat shooting.  There is a thread about it with his contact info.

1 minute ago, johnbu said:

Tanfo (i believe) sells a 170mm mag that works well with 38s and not as well with 9mm.  I also think Taylor Freelance makes extensions for the 38s mags to reach 170.

Contact John Durso to get a much better comp to make the gun stupid flat shooting.  There is a thread about it with his contact info.

Taylor Freelance says their 170mm extension on 38 super doesn't add capacity

any idea why tanfoglios have 38 super magazines and 9mm magazines separate 

No idea on the extension not adding capacity!  

I don't play with open, but as i understand it...  The 9mm and 38s have slightly different case profiles. The 9mm doesn't feed well from the 38 tube. Also (and more importantly) 38 is longer. The 9mm tubes have a spacer in the back to move the rounds forward so the longer 38 won't fit.

21 hours ago, johnbu said:

@Apolo, you want to go over prepping the GT for him?

Short answer, very slight reduction.  I'd ensure it was adjusted right and leave it.  Have you watched MemphisMechanics 4part video series on tanfo modifications? It's good.

Man...I feel like I've gone over it 100 times lol. Now I know how @kneelingatlas must feel. Ask away. There is very specific things that need to happen to make the 9mm/38s GT run. As far as mags, I have 38S and 9mm mags. Three 170s and seven 140s. And a whole lot of K40 140s. All 3 170 are different. Factory EAA, MBX, and a welded one made by a friend. I can't get the EAA 170 to run at all. Given up on it. It's made for 38s and I've owned 2 of them. The welded one holds 30+1 and fits guage. Runs 100% when clean and fresh sprung. The MBX has been running 100% and holds 29+1. The 140 K9 mags 100% and the K38s in 140 configuration are 90%. Not sure I could totally trust them yet in a match. I am also loading out the 1.1610 with a 115g DG Bullet to make that happen. 

Edited by Apolo
Clarity

The Taylor freelance 170 extension are for 9mm mags the 9mm mags have a spacer welded in the back and the extension matches the internal dimension they will not work well with 38 mags because they have no spacer so the extension is smaller inside than the mag.

I have ran some 38 from the tanfo 170mm 38 mags and they were fine.

I converted the GT to 9mm and have run a few thousand 9mm from factory 9mm mags and TF extensions with a Grams spring and follower I get 29

I have also had good luck with my MBX 170 and 140 mags but mostly I run those in my Caspian 9mm

I have found my GT feeds much better with round nose bullets

I have a couple tanfoglio170 38 mags I posted in the classifieds a while back if you want to go that route.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

20 minutes ago, MikeBurgess said:

The Taylor freelance 170 extension are for 9mm mags the 9mm mags have a spacer welded in the back and the extension matches the internal dimension they will not work well with 38 mags because they have no spacer so the extension is smaller inside than the mag.

I have ran some 38 from the tanfo 170mm 38 mags and they were fine.

I converted the GT to 9mm and have run a few thousand 9mm from factory 9mm mags and TF extensions with a Grams spring and follower I get 29

I have also had good luck with my MBX 170 and 140 mags but mostly I run those in my Caspian 9mm

I have found my GT feeds much better with round nose bullets

I have a couple tanfoglio170 38 mags I posted in the classifieds a while back if you want to go that route.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I don't see any place selling the tanfoglio 38 super 170mm magazines - where did you buy yours

if you want to sell your MBX 170mm - i will buy it - they are out of stock everywhere i looked

if not i might be interested in your 170mm 38 used mag

would these work? https://advancedtactical.com/products/magazines/ria-mapp-tanfoglio-witness-fs-170mm-9mm-25-26rnds-blued-finish-rock-island-

Edited by Fo0

I measured the knob of my 38 super extractor to around .0640 depending on where you measure - Henning says file to .045 until it can hold a live round. It holds a live round without filing - should I leave it?

DSC_01271111.thumb.JPG.33c043f8b3a335a950230626113ff49f.JPGDSC_0128111111.thumb.JPG.cea54798e31293458fba3cf96972e29b.JPG

Is it possible to get zero pre-travel with Henning Trigger and PD Bolo? It seems that for the trigger to reset it has to go forward further than engaging anything when pulling the trigger. 

32 minutes ago, Fo0 said:

Is it possible to get zero pre-travel with Henning Trigger and PD Bolo? It seems that for the trigger to reset it has to go forward further than engaging anything when pulling the trigger. 

From a mechanical standpoint it is impossible to get zero pre-travel. 

I have a Tanfoglio Limited Custom with the Henning trigger and it can be adjust to minimize the travel, both for and aft, and that’s the beauty of it.  You get to make the adjustments to what suits your shooting style. 

I found the Henning prepped sear with the Unica SA trigger, and 14 pound PD spring makes for a very nice, less than 2 lb, trigger. Since it is SA, no BOLO needed.

BTW it was all pretty much drop in with very little fitting.

Full Memphis Mech polish

PD reduced sear spring.

Henning reduced plunger spring 

Henning Med Flat trigger kit

UNICA SA hammer

14# PD hammer spring

PD FP spring 

Henning Firing Pin

Henning cone rod

Henning 11 lb recoil spring. 

Yes I like customizing stuff to fit my desires. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/3/2019 at 7:17 PM, Fo0 said:

I fit a new BOLO to the Tanfoglio (the other BOLO was one that was originally fitted to a CZ and I just stuck it in the Tanfo). I have zero pretravel now. You can get less (no) pretravel with a BOLO than using Henning trigger pretravel screw.

25 minutes ago, Fo0 said:

I fit a new BOLO to the Tanfoglio (the other BOLO was one that was originally fitted to a CZ and I just stuck it in the Tanfo). I have zero pretravel now. You can get less (no) pretravel with a BOLO than using Henning trigger pretravel screw.

Thanks for that update, I bought the PD BOLO but it’s going to require some fitting, after you put the bolo in yours did you have to adjust the screws on your henning trigger? I have mine set with red loctite again.

3 minutes ago, Craig0ry said:

Thanks for that update, I bought the PD BOLO but it’s going to require some fitting, after you put the bolo in yours did you have to adjust the screws on your henning trigger? I have mine set with red loctite again.

you shouldn't need to but I backed out the over travel screw some to make sure I wasn't getting skewed results while fitting.