Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Blue Bullets 135TC oal

Stymie12000

I'm loading for a new gen 5 glock 34. I have many 147RN blue on hand for my pcc. I'm running into short oal with the 147 and the glock due to the short throat.  To pass plunk test, I need to load the 147 to under 1.100" which doesn't leave much case volume and I would like a little more. 

Does anyone have experience the 135 with the TC nose? Mainly, can you load it with more case volume than the 147RN in same barrel? How does the 135 preform vs the 147? Recoil impulse?  BTW I'm loading with Sport Pistol for the Gen 5 glock. 

Thanks

29 minutes ago, Stymie12000 said:

I'm loading for a new gen 5 glock 34. I have many 147RN blue on hand for my pcc. I'm running into short oal with the 147 and the glock due to the short throat.  To pass plunk test, I need to load the 147 to under 1.100" which doesn't leave much case volume and I would like a little more. 

Does anyone have experience the 135 with the TC nose? Mainly, can you load it with more case volume than the 147RN in same barrel? How does the 135 preform vs the 147? Recoil impulse?  BTW I'm loading with Sport Pistol for the Gen 5 glock

Thanks

I am brand new to reloading so base what I'm about to say on that but I just loaded 250 of the 135 TC and 147 FP for my CZ SP-01. I was able to load with an OAL of 1.150 no problem. I fired 100 rounds with no feed issues. Plunk tested fine. This is the first set of bullets I've loaded but I have read that CZ also must load short for the round nose BBs. 

1.130” for me out of my P320s. I love 135gr’ers. I’ve shot a ton of the Blue Bullets version of these and found that I had to drive them a little faster to get the accuracy I wanted.....about a 137pf, but I like them better than 147s for sure.

Weird, is the short throat something with the new gen 5 barrels across the board?I’ve loaded both 147 RN and 135 TC to 1.14” for my gen 4 Glocks and they plunk just fine. (Not to derail your thread but) I have also been looking for a profile I could comfortably load shorter because my Apex M&P barrel won’t take the 147 any longer than 1.10” also. 

Yes, the gen 5 are known to have a shorter throat than the previous gens!

I have three gen 5 glocks. And all plunk at the same oal. I've loaded 124 blue with them and cant go over 1.120. But want to try heavier than 124. Just dont like how much case space I loose with the 147rn @1.10. So hopefully the 135 is the ticket! If not then I'll stick with 124!

Edited by Stymie12000

Bullets got delivered! 

135 TC blue is .653 long

147 en blue is .680 long

I loaded a 135 dummy round and it plunked at 1.150 in my gen 5 glock

Going to load up a few with 3.5gr of SP. Quick load (I substituted n320 since quick load doesn't have SP) should get me right at 1000fp that's pf135.

I'll report back after some range time!

1 hour ago, Stymie12000 said:

Going to load up a few with 3.5gr of SP. Quick load (I substituted n320 since quick load doesn't have SP) should get me right at 1000fp that's pf135.

Not familiar with 'quick load'.  Is that an app or site? Thanks.

The 135 can be loaded longer than the RN.

This is common amongst all bullet makers; TCs *often* have a more generous ogive.

Don’t forget that you get more case volume even at the same OAL; it doesn’t sit a deeply into the case being a shorter bullet.

I expect you’ll be pleased at 3.5gr. I load my 135TCs at just shy of 1.15” with 3.5gr of N320 and got 131PF from my gen 4 34 (ES = 22, SD = 7 based on 10 shot group). 

Edited by Helios

Range report.

I loaded the 135 to 1.150 with 3.5gr sport pistol. Average 5 shot  velocity was 1000.6fps. So I'm happy with 135pf.

Recoil impulse was really good. Accuracy was OK but definitely could be better. Double taps were all over the place. Second shot was always low. So I need to play around with spring rate and maybe tweak the load a couple tenths or maybe oal!

I ended up picking up a KKM match barrel. Since I wasn't totally happy with the accuracy.  Hopefully the rifling and twist rate will help out accuracy with the blue bullets.   (In the past I've had excellent accuracy with KKM and blue bullets, but that is with 1911/2011)