Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P Guide rod same as Walther?

2 minutes ago, waktasz said:

If the spring is fully stacked against it self before the slide has reached its rearward travel, you get coil bind.  This is something you have to check with new springs on 2011s from time to time, as you don't want the gun to bottom out on the spring.

So I can either cut spring or make a GR that is longer to prevent this?

I imagine cutting it would fix it, but I'm not sure how that all works in a captured rod situation. Cutting them is what you do on a 2011 if they run out of travel because the spring stacks up before the slide bottoms out on the frame

I imagine cutting it would fix it, but I'm not sure how that all works in a captured rod situation. Cutting them is what you do on a 2011 if they run out of travel because the spring stacks up before the slide bottoms out on the frame

Cutting the spring reduces the poundage tho right?

Gotta be mindful of how it would affect the slide closing, etc...

6 hours ago, latenightlegend said:

Forgive me, what do you mean the GR wasn't proper? When I put Wolff recoil spring, I used the factory GR. 

Is the bushing needed for flatwire? 

Sorry, I think my response was confusing as there were other responses.  I did my original testing with a 1911 guide rod that I turned down the head.  But the head was too small in diameter.  But it worked and I used a regular 1911 recoil spring to test.  

I then made a gr that matched the dimension of the factory SF guide rod.  It uses glock ismi flat wire recoil springs.  Currently using an 11#. 

Edited by echotango

6 hours ago, latenightlegend said:

Forgive me, what do you mean the GR wasn't proper?

The factory rod is .288” and the hole in the front of the slide is sized to match. A guide rod for an ISMI flatwire spring or a 1911 spring is .250” so the rod can wallow around in the hole in the slide.

He made a bushing to keep it centered and fatten up the front of the guide rod.

I’m not OCD. I run my guns with the thinner guide rod. They’re never centered in the slide and can wiggle around a bit. But 10,000+ through my Q5 like that wasn’t any kind of problem.

On 4/21/2019 at 12:52 PM, waktasz said:

Just picked up a Glock Jentra tungsten rod. Works fine

I picked up one as well for my Q5 and ran it tonight in a practice session with a 15 lb Wolff spring.  I was impressed.  Make sure and get the longer Jentra tungsten guide rod made for the 17L/24/34/35 as it matches up to the Q5 nicely

Realize the ISMI flat springs are too small a diameter and you will need the Wolff springs as they are a larger inside diameter.

I have been running a 13lb flat spring with a SS captured guide rod setup but did not like how sloppy the slide movement was while running into shooting positions.  I did not have any FTF’s but still did not like it going in and out of battery so easily.  The 15 lb Wolff recoil spring in an uncaptured guide rod setup has enough spring tension that it keeps the slide in battery while moving aggressively into and out of shooting positions.

Edited by Single Stack

9 hours ago, Single Stack said:

I have been running a 13lb flat spring with a SS captured guide rod setup but did not like how sloppy the slide movement was while running into shooting positions.  I did not have any FTF’s but still did not like it going in and out of battery so easily.  The 15 lb Wolff recoil spring in an uncaptured guide rod setup has enough spring tension that it keeps the slide in battery while moving aggressively into and out of shooting positions.

Changing the striker spring will fix that.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/15/2019 at 11:09 AM, echotango said:

I made one along with a bushing.  I run an 11# flat ismi spring and an M&P stock striker spring.

55.jpg.d220db80d1a6d8627c07c798d09326e8.jpg

the bushing looks very nice, how you made it? thanks a lot