Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P Guide rod same as Walther?

It will work in the Q5 plastic gun. I ran a full length tungsten guide rod in mine with a 13# wilson flatwire 1911 spring. Worked great, shot pretty flat. 

It will not work in the Q5 Steel Frame gun. 

Edited by Prov1x

Great...now, where to buy one? The only place I found was Speed Shooter Specialties and all of their M%P rods are out of stock. The one from Walther is $125 which seems silly. Any other choices?

8 hours ago, waktasz said:

Great...now, where to buy one? The only place I found was Speed Shooter Specialties and all of their M%P rods are out of stock. The one from Walther is $125 which seems silly. Any other choices?

That's where I bought mine so no idea where else you can find one. 

• 3 weeks later...

Tried a Spingco guiderod at the match today and it's much better than stock, but doesn't close the slide with enough force. Had a jam after inserting a full mag because it doesn't have enough force to close the slide. Would really like to run a normal steel or ideally tungsten uncaptured rod and a normal spring. Someone make one or find a rod from another gun that is compatible! please!

For those wondering this is the link for the tungsten glock guide rod. You can only use wolff recoil springs with it because of the larger diameter. It weighs 2.7oz according to technical support at NDZ

https://www.ndzperformance.com/Jentra-JTGR-1-Guide-Rod-Glock-Gen-1-3-17L-24-34-35-p/jen-jtgr-1.htm?CartID=1

On 4/21/2019 at 6:02 PM, bjones6686 said:

For those wondering this is the link for the tungsten glock guide rod. You can only use wolff recoil springs with it because of the larger diameter. It weighs 2.7oz according to technical support at NDZ

https://www.ndzperformance.com/Jentra-JTGR-1-Guide-Rod-Glock-Gen-1-3-17L-24-34-35-p/jen-jtgr-1.htm?CartID=1

Just a heads up, any spring other than flatwires will cause the gun to bind up when trying to lock the slide back. The slide more or less just gets stuck with a wolff spring. 

2 hours ago, latenightlegend said:

Just a heads up, any spring other than flatwires will cause the gun to bind up when trying to lock the slide back. The slide more or less just gets stuck with a wolff spring

I shot the gun with a cut down 1911 guide rod and wolff 1911 recoil springs and had no issues at all with it binding up.

24 minutes ago, echotango said:

Mine ran originally with a modified 1911 guide rod and wolff spring until I made my own guide rod for the ismi flat wire. 

bjones beat me to it. 

wtf...why is this happening to me?? 

Why'd you switch to ismi flat wire when wolff springs worked for yah?

2 hours ago, latenightlegend said:

wtf...why is this happening to me?? 

Why'd you switch to ismi flat wire when wolff springs worked for yah?

Because the gr was not proper. The head was too small. I made one to use a ismi and also made a bushing. 566.jpg.8d0b33c3037b34d0b466b6c07bdbc9c0.jpg

Edited by echotango

18 hours ago, echotango said:

Because the gr was not proper. The head was too small. I made one to use a ismi and also made a bushing. 566.jpg.8d0b33c3037b34d0b466b6c07bdbc9c0.jpg

Forgive me, what do you mean the GR wasn't proper? When I put Wolff recoil spring, I used the factory GR. 

Is the bushing needed for flatwire? 

If the spring is fully stacked against it self before the slide has reached its rearward travel, you get coil bind.  This is something you have to check with new springs on 2011s from time to time, as you don't want the gun to bottom out on the spring.