Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recommend two powders to start with for 45 IDPA

jacksdad

Good morning-

I am going to start reloading 45 for IDPA and would like to start with a pound each of two powders to work with.  Will be ordering 230 and 200gr bullets in an effort to find the best load for IDPA with my Sig P220.  It seems Hodgdon Clays is quite popular.  How about WST?  

Appreciate any input-

I've had decent results with 231 and Titegroup.
HS-6 was pretty good too, and Bullseye is the old school option, but both seem a bit dirtier than 231 and TG.

Edited by Harpo
Forgot to note: I haven't had the chance to try these loads with my new barrel bushing, so they could have just been equally mediocre in the past.

I would use Alliant e3 or Solo 1000 depending on the recoil impulse you want.  WST is another excellent choice.  You can make major with all three and get single digit SDs with a 200 grain bullet.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/25/2019 at 10:06 AM, jacksdad said:

Good morning-

I am going to start reloading 45 for IDPA and would like to start with a pound each of two powders to work with.  Will be ordering 230 and 200gr bullets in an effort to find the best load for IDPA with my Sig P220.  It seems Hodgdon Clays is quite popular.  How about WST?  

Appreciate any input-

I used Hodgdon Clays for a long time and was happy with it.  I switched to VV N310, and it it much cleaner and more accurate for me with 230g bullets.

Nitro100, softest recoil I have found. Clays is good until you need to reach a 170 power factor, then it gets dicey.

WST is temperture sensitive, the hotter the air temp, the slower the bullet goes, but for IDPA I do not think PF is that high, so WST is a good choice.

Coated Bullets and 165 plus power factor I assume.

Under those conditions I'd shy away from really fast powder (Clays) and sort of fast hot burning powder (titegroup).

My current favorite powder is sport pistol but I have not done any 45 load work with it. 

5.2 grs of sport pistol under a 200 gr swc was very accurate for me out a 1911. I was getting about 810 FPS. This a good load need to tweak the oal to get the best accuracy, I think my oal was around 1.255.

WST is inverse temperature sensitive, it loses velocity as the temps get hotter.

Clays or ClayDot both work well in 135 to 165 PF loads.  

Titegroup will get dirty, leaving granules, as the pressures get too low and heat up the gun more than Clay/Dot as the pressures get higher.

Acme has a 175 coated swc h&g68 bullet at 720 f/s for SSP/ESP 125 PF.

For a CDP 165 PF load use a 200 coated swc at 830 f/s from about any good manufacturer.

The H&G 68 bullet has a long, reliable track record in the finicky 1911 platform and should be fine in a SIG.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/25/2019 at 10:06 AM, jacksdad said:

How about WST?  

Appreciate any input-

I use WST.  It is very consistent at the chrono, and I do agree with pskys2, it is inverse temperature sensitive at the chrono.

• 2 weeks later...

e3 or WST

IF you don't play foolish games with your load you'll have no problem at chrono.

Load to 172 PF during the summer and you'll never have a problem.

Most people can't shoot the difference on a timer between 165 PF and 172PF so always give yourself that safety zone of 172 for major.

• 3 weeks later...

WST and 231 , as you will probably be using coated bullets as they are best bang for buck.. TG and clays will probably give you more smoke.
If I was starting out and didnt already have a stockpile of WST and tightgroup,  I'd probably go with  244... Its basically a new improved 231 which has been the standard for 45 forever, but its a more modern cesign supposedly better for coated bullets. Cleaner and less smoke.