Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Factory SuperSight Not Holding Zero

Skyshark425

When I zero my Stock 2 the sight is pretty high in the back and after some unfortunate match results I have realized that the rear sight will lower after the gun is shot a bit.  Last weekend i experimented with a dab of blue loctite but that didnt hold.

Any thoughts or remedies?   Are there any adjustable rear sight options for tanfo?

Do i just fill the hole with red loctite and immediately zero the gun? (first instinct)

This has happened on two separate stock 2's.

^^^^^

This.  Mine would back out slightly & raise the rear sight, thus raising the POI. 

I used blue Loctite and all was good but I did use contact cleaner to clean off oil from the screw & screw hole prior so it could get a good bond.

Rezero the gun at 25 yds via a rest or bag.  Count the clicks to back out the screw.  Clean out the screw hole and the screw with contact cleaner & a pipe cleaner.  Apply blue Loctite to the screw & hole, reinsert the spring & screw and count the appropriate clicks to reinstall the screw to the zeroed setting.  Shoot a few shots to confirm the zero.  Put the gun away for a day so the Loctite can cure.

25 minutes ago, BJB said:

I used blue Loctite and all was good but I did use contact cleaner to clean off oil from the screw & screw hole prior so it could get a good bond.

This is key.  I struggled for a long time with the sights on my Tanfo's until I realize that, for some reason, they had come with what appeared to be grease (reddish brown, thick goop) in the hole for the adjustment screw.  By "struggled" I mean that I had to use a paint marker to put reference points on both the sight body and the head of the screw so that I could see if they moved relative to one another during a course of fire... and go re-adjust in the safety area.  This was just a constant thing.  

Finally realized I had some kind of lubricant in there (plus lots of old loctite), cleaned it out, degreased it... solved.  

6 minutes ago, ATLDave said:

..... they had come with what appeared to be grease (reddish brown, thick goop) in the hole for the adjustment screw........

Exactly.

I also highly recommend opening the sight (don't lose the springs!), and remove the 2 allen screws. Clean and degrease them and the holes, then locktite RED 271 them in place.  Every tanfo sight I've played with has either a loose body or loose screws and a body that is about to get loose.

Hit the screws with a hot soldering iron for 30-60 sec and the 271 will be loose.

48 minutes ago, Skyshark425 said:

Yeah as far as i can tell the sigh will lower during prolonged periods of shooting.  Going loctite more vigorously.  thanks!

Just Fyi

It's difficult to understand how it could vibrate in recoil and TGHTEN the screw against spring pressure.

Do you rack by the sight? Or does the holster hit it?

16 hours ago, Skyshark425 said:

Yeah as far as i can tell the sigh will lower during prolonged periods of shooting.  Going loctite more vigorously.  thanks!

It sounds like the springs are missing.  More information would be helpful, pictures would be even better.  I'd love to see how high it sits when zeroed in, the have been different blade heights on super sights over the years, it's possible the front and rear are mismatched.

15 hours ago, Slalom45 said:

Is there a fixed rear sight option? 

I've been considering moving to a Stock 2 but really prefer fixed (for all the issued noted in thread...)

The fixed rear sight from a CZ Tactical Sports can be fit to the super sight dovetail, I used it with a Limited Tanfoglio I shot.

On 3/26/2019 at 7:05 AM, kneelingatlas said:

It sounds like the springs are missing.  More information would be helpful, pictures would be even better.  I'd love to see how high it sits when zeroed in, the have been different blade heights on super sights over the years, it's possible the front and rear are mismatched.

I'll try and get some during lunch.  i went to the henning sight as the dawson refused to stay in place.  

On 3/25/2019 at 3:01 PM, johnbu said:

Just Fyi

It's difficult to understand how it could vibrate in recoil and TGHTEN the screw against spring pressure.

Do you rack by the sight? Or does the holster hit it?

I rack, immediate action etc by the front serrations. the holster is a red hill and doesn't contact the front sight at all.

22 minutes ago, Skyshark425 said:

Please school me on how to fix this.  When I zero the gun I start with the sight bottomed out and at 15 yards im literally a foot or more low.

You need a shorter front sight, Dawson has a handy calculator to help you figure out which one to order.

29 minutes ago, kneelingatlas said:

You need a shorter front sight, Dawson has ahandy calculator to help you figure out which one to order.

30 minutes ago, BJB said:

Way, way high as compared to mine.  That rear sight height would put my POI a couple feet high at 25 yds.

What is your front sight height?

the henning front sight.  .180

I did the dawson measurement and it advised a .155 site.

So whats the proper instal  on a dawson sight because i switched from them because they were constantly coming loose.

12 minutes ago, Skyshark425 said:

So whats the proper instal  on a dawson sight because i switched from them because they were constantly coming loose.

I don't recall offhand, but I think the factory front sight is 0.150, so the 0.155 measurement you got from Dawson should be good to go.

These front sights fit in from the front & have a grub screw to hold them in place.  They shouldn’t need much fitting like a dovetail sight going in from the side. All I can suggest is, again, clean the grub screw & screw hole and sight itself of residual oil or grease and use Loctite.  Let it cure.

2 hours ago, Skyshark425 said:

the henning front sight.  .180

The front dove cut is not always tight with Dawson sights ... Even though the dawson parts are identical in size.  To accomodate the loose ones, i put a thin shim under it and then tap them in. Sometimes locktite may work, but it dissolves under attack from solvents.  

When you zero, are you rested on sandbags or similar?  Odd how your dropping so low.  Is the barrel loose when in battery?