Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Extreme spread

2scoops

got some crazy extreme spreads recently.  Need advise on how to resolve.  Loading with new starline brass, JHP bullets, VV320, all the same primers, on Dillon 1050.  Usually extreme spread is as a result of mixed head stamp brass.  As previously mentioned loading in brand new starline brass.  Was loading on a 650 with no problems getting ES under 20fps on 9mm PCC loads. My current ES is over 80fps on a 900fts loads.  Can it be my press ?  The powder die and hopper are exactly the same as was used on my 650.  Must be honest and haven't checked loads from one round to another.

Any advise ?

-Manually confirm that powder charge and OAL are as expected

-Is this a new bullet? Sometimes things get very inconsistent if your bullet isn’t quite the right size for the barrel (like off by a thousandth or two)

-Confirm that the Chrono is working correctly with known loads or otherwise troubleshooting it. 

• 1 month later...

late reply. After shooting supple big matches eventually got round to checking what's going on with my ammo. Turns out the OAL varies significantly. Using Dillon bullet seater die. Interesting design but allows for quite a bit of play on the seater stem. Ordered Hornady match bullet seater. let's see how that works.  Thanks for all the help