Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Apex or KKM

Hiroshi

No experience with the KKM but I have had 2 Apex SDI barrels for my gen 1 M&Ps and they are amazing. The fitting is simple following Apex’s videos. Only bummer IMO is I have to load rounds much shorter for that barrel than I do for my Glocks. 

• 2 months later...

Apex would be my choice. No experience with the KKM. I have a Gen 1 M&P 9mm FS and it had THE worst accuracy of any service size pistol I have ever shot. My Norinco 213 will outshoot it . Dead lined the gun for 2-3 years before Apex came out with their Gunsmith Fit barrels. I fitted the barrel myself, very easy and the difference was night and day. I went for a hard fit so it took a few hundred rounds for the barrel to settle in before 100% reliability. Its now a tack driver.

The KKM barrel and others make a good product, but Apex took the time to research the accuracy issue with Gen 1 FS 9mm M&Ps. Not only are they oversized in the correct places so they can be fitted, but Apex redesigned the lower lug to increase dwell time, a key difference between the Apex barrel and others.

I keep the factory barrel in the case for "those" types that deny the M&P (FS 9mm) accuracy issue. I have them shoot the Apex already in the gun, I then pop the factory barrel in and have them shoot it, the look on their face.....PRICELESS.

I replaced the ported barrel in my Performance Center 9L with a KKM.(no can do in CO)

At the distances I use if for (steel challenge, occasional USPSA match) it's plenty accurate, if you can

fit an Apex or have a gunsmith that can do it for you I'd say go for the Apex, if you are looking 

for an easy improvement/upgrade and don't need long distance precision, I'd bet it's safe to say the KKM should get you there.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Apex is definitely the way to go. I installed one on my 9mm. and also the trigger kit, a set of LPA sights it is a different gun now. The only drawback I found is the short throat, I load my own bullets and wanted to try some flat point bullets and found that I had to load them way shorter than I wanted. I ordered a throating reamer and reamed the throat...I can load any length bullet up to the limits of 1.169 with no issues. I used a Manson throating reamer and it cut the Apex barrel like butter...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...