Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Next Level Armament or Radian Raptor or Factory charging handle for MPX PCC?

In the process of acquiring a Sig MPX PCC(don't have the gun yet), thinking of changing the charging handle. Are these two compatible with the new MPX PCC model?  Which one do you guys prefer for competition the Next Level Armament or the Radian Weapons Raptor? How is one better than the other? Also the new MPX PCC charging handle looks like it has been redesign compared to the Gen2, anybody running this on competition? Is it worth it to change them? or are they good to go? Thanks.

Edited by mannyc

They're both better than stock (on Gen2 at least... the Gen3 may be better).  The spring retention plate for my Raptor wore out after ~8K rounds (the internal groves that hold the rods in place wore away and finally failed), but Radian customer support is excellent.  A quick email and I had another plate.  

1 hour ago, NervousEnergy said:

They're both better than stock (on Gen2 at least... the Gen3 may be better).  The spring retention plate for my Raptor wore out after ~8K rounds (the internal groves that hold the rods in place wore away and finally failed), but Radian customer support is excellent.  A quick email and I had another plate.  

Known issue on the Radians. Alum. vs. the steel plate on the NLA. That + handle size makes it a no-brainer. I have both (bought a used MPX that had the Radian). I love Radians and run them on my 556/6.5G/etc AR's and ran a Raptor-SD on my 9mm AR carbine... but NLA wins hands down here.

If someone disagrees and wants to trade their NLA for my Raptor, let me know ;)

Thanks guys for the replies, Nathanb the geisselle looks nice but is more expensive than the NLA than it needs to be. NLA looks like a winner. So anybody running the NLA charging handle with the new MPX PCC model? Any issues? asking because the MPX PCC has a minor redesign on the bolt, and handle. Thinking it should be good to go.

Edited by mannyc
2 hours ago, jlo86cj said:

NLA and it’s lifter work fine in the new PCC. There’s just a small gap in the lower where the tab of the newer spring retainer sits.

Thanks jlo86cj, ordered the NLA.

I've used BCM Gunfighter for many years and never felt the need to take a second look at a Raptor. 

I finally tried a Raptor about 2 months ago and immediately thought; hmmm...  I can see all the hype. this thing is smooth, good size, ambidextrous and just plain nice. 

Now you guys have me looking at the NLA

42 minutes ago, Matt1911 said:

I've used BCM Gunfighter for many years and never felt the need to take a second look at a Raptor. 

I finally tried a Raptor about 2 months ago and immediately thought; hmmm...  I can see all the hype. this thing is smooth, good size, ambidextrous and just plain nice. 

Now you guys have me looking at the NLA

Try out a Raptor-SD. It's meant to be used with a suppressor, and is very effective in that role... However it ALSO helps with a blowback 9mm. 

10 minutes ago, Acer2428 said:

Try out a Raptor-SD. It's meant to be used with a suppressor, and is very effective in that role... However it ALSO helps with a blowback 9mm. 

Care to explain how it helps in blowback? 

@Bwillis sure. It's the same concept as when used with a suppressor, just to a lesser degree. Especially with lots of folks removing weight from the carrier, etc. Unlock is sped up and you have a certain amount of gas coming back into the receiver. The charging handle has ports in it that are supposed to direct any gas DOWN and away from the charging handle port in the rear. That along with the shelf found on most CH's anymore help divert any gas away from your face. 

While I never felt it was an overwhelming issue, I swapped in one that I had and noticed the benefit immediately. For a few extra bucks it's worth it IMO. 

15 minutes ago, assaultthesalt said:

Take a look at Timber Creek Outdoors.They have a pretty cool ambi charging handle.I put one on my MBX Extreme PCC.

I love my NLA charging handle and thought that it was over priced, Timber Creek is 50% above the NLA. $120 is pretty steep for a charging handle.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/27/2019 at 10:47 AM, Acer2428 said:

@Bwillis sure. It's the same concept as when used with a suppressor, just to a lesser degree. Especially with lots of folks removing weight from the carrier, etc. Unlock is sped up and you have a certain amount of gas coming back into the receiver. The charging handle has ports in it that are supposed to direct any gas DOWN and away from the charging handle port in the rear. That along with the shelf found on most CH's anymore help divert any gas away from your face. 

While I never felt it was an overwhelming issue, I swapped in one that I had and noticed the benefit immediately. For a few extra bucks it's worth it IMO. 

Doesn’t this blow more junk down into your mags though? There’s gotta be some drawback to this. Those mags are hard enough to keep clean and working properly.........

26 minutes ago, Silverscooby27 said:

There’s gotta be some drawback to this.

Nothing noticeable. I use the same design on 100% suppressed AR-10's and 556 AR's as well w/out issue. It's going to vent out the ejection port, bolt catch, and upper/lower gap longbefore it travels down around the BCG and into the mag. 

I'm not buying any other CH's anymore, even w/ an adjustable gas block. 

ETA: They don't make a Raptor-SD for the MPX, I was talking about AR9's. Why they don't make a SD version for the MPX I have no idea. 

Edited by Acer2428
2 hours ago, Acer2428 said:

Nothing noticeable. I use the same design on 100% suppressed AR-10's and 556 AR's as well w/out issue. It's going to vent out the ejection port, bolt catch, and upper/lower gap longbefore it travels down around the BCG and into the mag. 

I'm not buying any other CH's anymore, even w/ an adjustable gas block. 

ETA: They don't make a Raptor-SD for the MPX, I was talking about AR9's. Why they don't make a SD version for the MPX I have no idea. 

Sorry... meant to clarify, I’m using this in a JP with a standard SCS buffer. The mags get absolutely filthy even with a standard charging handle, can’t imagine blowing even MORE crap down there... I already bought one because of you and this thread, 😂 guess I may as well try it.