Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Sarge

Pins in cases

I run the FA with FA case cleaner and no pins. I"m happy with the results.

On 3/22/2019 at 9:18 PM, Sarge said:

This is troubling. 

IMG_0912.jpg

On 3/23/2019 at 9:40 AM, echotango said:

I won't go back to pins.  

On 3/23/2019 at 6:48 PM, echotango said:

Mine are always stuck in the flash hole. Not sideways as shown above. Tired of broken decapping pins. 

I was considering tumbling with these pins.  Thanks for this thread!  I'm not going to use them now.  Screw this!

Pins are for chumps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been tumbling with pins since the beginning of time (nearly), and I have yet to experience anything like that. I'm totally amazed! My pin supplier closed their doors about ayear ago or I'd recommend you try their pins. I was thinking of setting up a second tumbler so I'll need to make sure to get pins that match my originals. Mine won't even fit sidewats in a 45 ACP case!

I can pick up my pins with a magnet, they have to be some variety of stainless as I've had them for a number of years with no rust on the pins.  Yes, they stay in the tumbler wet after use.

40 minutes ago, Yetilostnthewoods said:

Someone mentioned using a magnet. Stainless steel is nonmagnetic. You may have to fish out the pins with a pair of hemostats

These pins are stainless that stick to magnets

Low grade stainless 

3 hours ago, Yetilostnthewoods said:

Someone mentioned using a magnet. Stainless steel is nonmagnetic. You may have to fish out the pins with a pair of hemostats

No, some stainless is magnetic and some is not. It has nothing to do with "low grade" or quality of the material at all, just different classes of stainless steel which is really a broad category of steels, not a particular alloy. Generally, 300 series stainless is non-magnetic or very mildly magnetic, while 400 series is strongly magnetic. 

I suspect most all of us here own at least one pocket knife, and most of those have stainless steel in one of the magnetic alloys. Easy to check if you don't believe me...

Personally for case tumbling, I avoid pins; they seem to cause more problems than they're worth. I like nice shiny brass too, so I do a dish soap & citric acid (lemon juice) bath, dry, and then tumble in corn cob with case polish and car wax. That leaves an amazing bright shine on the cases. 

4 hours ago, Yondering said:

No, some stainless is magnetic and some is not. It has nothing to do with "low grade" or quality of the material at all, just different classes of stainless steel which is really a broad category of steels, not a particular alloy. Generally, 300 series stainless is non-magnetic or very mildly magnetic, while 400 series is strongly magnetic. 

I suspect most all of us here own at least one pocket knife, and most of those have stainless steel in one of the magnetic alloys. Easy to check if you don't believe me...

Personally for case tumbling, I avoid pins; they seem to cause more problems than they're worth. I like nice shiny brass too, so I do a dish soap & citric acid (lemon juice) bath, dry, and then tumble in corn cob with case polish and car wax. That leaves an amazing bright shine on the cases. 

Got it! Thank you.

You guys should use brass juice, gets your brass clean without the need for pins.