Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pins in cases

Sarge

1 minute ago, microham said:

What are you using to separate them from the brass?

A rotary FA unit. I'll have to change my process. I generally sort by headstamp before I wet tumble. I inspect the cases then etc. I guess I'll start sorting after the final wet tumble. Now I have 3 more buckets to check. Ugh..

3 minutes ago, bwikel said:

One of the reasons I stopped using pins. You may try running a rare earth magnet through the brass and catch them. 

I just can't give up on the shiny brass. LOL I tried pinless for awhile but ended up retumbling with pins.

I recently got a wet dry media seperator from Frankford Arsenal that does a great job.

You dump the wet brass and pins from the drum and fill it 3/4 way with water. The water rinses the brass and also removes the pins. The pins end up In the bottom pan and to strain the water from the pins the top has two strainers in it to drain the water off.

Just now, microham said:

I recently got a wet dry media seperator from Frankford Arsenal that does a great job.

You dump the wet brass and pins from the drum and fill it 3/4 way with water. The water rinses the brass and also removes the pins. The pins end up In the bottom pan and to strain the water from the pins the top has two strainers in it to drain the water off.

Yep, thats what I use. These pins are jammed in there tight. They are the pins that came with the FART so maybe I can find some slightly shorter?

Just now, bwikel said:

If you are addicted to shiney brass with pins try a smaller media. There are some stainless chips available. Dont remember who is selling them but it looks like milling chips. 

Thats my next step I think.

4 minutes ago, microham said:

Are you using the FA pins or something else? Because I've never seen pins stuck in 9 mm brass. They look short to me.

They are the FA pins. I did some review reading on amazon and the FA pins were measured at about.300 long and all others I checked are .255 long. I think they may be a little long.

11 hours ago, bwikel said:

If you are addicted to shiney brass with pins try a smaller media. There are some stainless chips available. Dont remember who is selling them but it looks like milling chips. 

Southern Shine sells the little chips.  

I tried ballcones as I was tired of stuck pins in the flash hole.  Unfortunately they were not magnetic and a pita. Make sure if you buy pins or any other style of media, that is it magnetic.  Not all stainless is magnetic.  I now tumble with no pins.  I won't go back to pins.  

Edited by echotango

I have been running the FART with the supplied pins for over a year now and have never had pins stuck like that?  It was a concern of mine at first but when I saw I didn't have that issues I don't even worry about it any more.  

6 hours ago, echotango said:

I tried ballcones as I was tired of stuck pins in the flash hole.  Unfortunately they were not magnetic and a pita. Make sure if you buy pins or any other style of media, that is it magnetic.  Not all stainless is magnetic.  I now tumble with no pins.  I won't go back to pins.  

3 hours ago, Intel6 said:

I have been running the FART with the supplied pins for over a year now and have never had pins stuck like that?  It was a concern of mine at first but when I saw I didn't have that issues I don't even worry about it any more.  

Just an FYI I just checked 3 more buckets and all were pin free. The bucket with pins stuck was all WIN brass.

14 minutes ago, Chili said:

Are you using the same solution you used with pins? I was considering trying Brass Juice and no pins.

I use dish soap and citric acid for 1.5hrs. I have tested a bunch of things, wax, dish soap, dishwasher soap, etc. I think the citric acid is the most important. I get 5# bag from Amazon for $15.

23 hours ago, jschweg said:

I don't wet tumble anymore, but when I did I used these pins.

https://stainlesstumblingmedia.com/shop/stainless-tumbling-media.html

I never had any problems with any of them getting stuck in the flash holes or cases.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Same here.

The pins are too long to get stuck sideways like in the OP picture.

56 minutes ago, 124gr9mm said:

Same here.

The pins are too long to get stuck sideways like in the OP picture.

I think you mean too short? They are only .255. The pins I use are about .290.

23 hours ago, Sarge said:

I think you mean too short? They are only .255. The pins I use are about .290.

Yes, I think my reply was poorly worded!

I use the same pins that you referenced in your link and the pins can't get stuck sideways.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a tip for people with this issue. Not all the pins are exactly the same length. For a while I had some troublesome pins but I started to throw them away instead of throwing them back into the tumbler and the issue went away after not too long by doing that. 

That said, I have been thinking about trying the little chips next time I buy media.