Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grip preference, what's old is new again?

be032

Was browsing around YouTube and came across some of Yong Lee's videos from last year, and one viewer noticed that he switched out the X-5 grip frame for the P320 frame, which he confirmed in the comments. When the X-5 stuff came out, this "had to have been an upgrade" since it was newer, right? I never looked back, until today...

I dug around my boxes and pulled it out, and I think I might go back it it as well. Just a stock grip and dry firing, it *SEEMS* that any gains from higher beavertail isn't really as noticeable as the extra palm swell versus the flat sided X-5. With grip mods, I could see it pulling even further ahead. 

Am I just flip flopping because I saw someone who shoots better than me make that change?

I debated going to the standard 320 frame for my X5 because of the narrow frame for the X5. like Gary1911A1, I wanted something to get more grip with and stipple it for more texture and that's why the standard 320 grip module was on my radar. Ultimately I bought the tungsten grip module from Shooting Sports Innovations, I couldn't have been happier.

I have both 320's and an X5. I put an X grip on one of my 320's, but with large hands, it was just too small/skinny for me, so I went with a size large 320 module.

I was worried about that when I got my X5, too. But I found the mag well helped me out. The bottom of my weak hand rides on the mag well and I place my weak hand trigger finger in front of the trigger guard. Makes for a very solid, comfortable grip for me. But it would sure be nice if Sig ever make the "modular" X-Series guns truly modular by producing small and large grips for them. Pretty disappointing that they have not done so yet.

Edited by jejb
typo

11 hours ago, jejb said:

I have both 320's and an X5. I put an X grip on one of my 320's, but with large hands, it was just too small/skinny for me, so I went with a size large 320 module.

I was worried about that when I got my X5, too. But I found the mag well helped me out. The bottom of my weak hand rides on the mag well and I place my weak hand trigger finger in front of the trigger guard. Makes for a very solid, comfortable grip for me. But it would sure be nice if Sig ever make the "modular" X-Series guns truly modular by producing small and large grips for them. Pretty disappointing that they have done so yet.

The X-Compact that I had in my hand at the outdoor show in Feb(?) was wearing a small module; the rep said 3rd/4th quarter, but they probably pulled it out of the air.

The word for a while has been the small X module would be coming first, as there is more demand for that. Rep I talked to last year about said 4Q18. But we all know that didn't happen. I just don't get it. How hard can it be to get these plastic grips into production? Come on, you promised us a modular gun system. Deliver it.