Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Kinda of a weird issue with stance and feet

jessesmith121

So, I have had tons of help trying to fix my stance (I tend to stand on my heels not the front of my feet).  I have a few issues that tend to prevent this..  I have 100% flat feet (literally no arch) another condition called Z-Foot and have had 3 foot surgeries (2 plantar fasciotomy's and my heel was reconstructed with cadaver bone tissue) so naturally I want to rock back on my heels...  Any exercises and or equipment (shoes) that promote a weight forward stance?  I am always trying to fix this issue as it is one of my biggest when it comes to stance and movement.  Orthotics are not an option as I have custom lifetime once that I have to wear to walk properly. 

53 minutes ago, jessesmith121 said:

So, I have had tons of help trying to fix my stance (I tend to stand on my heels not the front of my feet).  I have a few issues that tend to prevent this..  I have 100% flat feet (literally no arch) another condition called Z-Foot and have had 3 foot surgeries (2 plantar fasciotomy's and my heel was reconstructed with cadaver bone tissue) so naturally I want to rock back on my heels...  Any exercises and or equipment (shoes) that promote a weight forward stance?  I am always trying to fix this issue as it is one of my biggest when it comes to stance and movement.  Orthotics are not an option as I have custom lifetime once that I have to wear to walk properly. 

I figured out, that it doesn´t make much difference when i put weight on my toes but don´t push forward when shooting. The gun pushes me back the first shots anyway. Maybe try to bend your forward knee a bit and stiffen the back knee. Something like Max Michel´s stance. When you start shooting, put pressure on your back foots heel, so you push forward a bit.

Thanks @practical_man squats and front squats are apart of my gym regimen (Mondays) along with Romanian deadlifts and suitcase deadlifts (former competitive powerlifter) .  I don't use kettlebells currently I might start to incorporate those.    I never thought of treating my stance like a squat prep.  That's probably a great thought to get my mindset right.

Your powerlifting background will serve you well in shooting. Front squats are awesome for it. I suggested the bells to learn technique. 

The one handed  kettlebell swing is a great way to add stability by strengthening glutes, improving hip and hamstring flexibility, and maintaining stability against a moving mass (like recoil). 

Your powerlifting shoes put you in a good posture. Sadly, most suck for running. You might find a similar geometry in a trail running shoe. I just wear regular boots. 

You can over come the foot problems and maybe beat them back a bit. My plantar fasciitis improved a lot when I started squatting heavy (for me) again and stretching the eccentric chain. 

Is standing on the balls of your feet to control recoil...  or to improve getaway speed in running a course?

In the video, the student is standing on a 2x6 with his feet straight across...  When actually shooting, wouldn't you would put one foot slightly behind to improve recoil control?

• 4 weeks later...