• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 8/12/2019 at 1:34 PM, Balakay said:

I took the plunge.  Could not wait any longer for the Romeo max.  About 1100 rounds so far.  Dot is really bright.. I can't turn it up all the way, even in the bright Florida sun.  Indoors,  I use it on lowest setting..  It has held zero even though there is no locking screw.  The adjustment clicks are tactile.  I like the brightness adjustment--similar to the RTS2.

Glass is clear and free of any tint.

I am using on a DoubleTap mount without a blast shield on a V8 Akai.  Glass doesn't get dirty.

Ships from Winnipeg but I had mine in a week.  

So far, I would highly recommend. I am not sponsored by FTP.  

Good review. Are you still running one?

17 minutes ago, Posvar said:

Good review. Are you still running one?

Still using it, without issues. It is on my backup gun now (long story).  Primary has a Romeo 3 Max. I think I like the rounder shape of the Romeo slightly better but I think they are very comparable in quality. Probably made in the same factory!

52 minutes ago, Balakay said:

Still using it, without issues. It is on my backup gun now (long story).  Primary has a Romeo 3 Max. I think I like the rounder shape of the Romeo slightly better but I think they are very comparable in quality. Probably made in the same factory!

Thanks! 6 or 8 moa? Will I see you at the Swamp Challenge? 😀

On 12/15/2019 at 5:58 AM, Balakay said:

Yes they are :)  You get all the same benefits at a much better price with competion orientated brightness levels and programming.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a few people ask how the Alpha 3 compares to the SRO. Here is a quick summary:

SRO

Window is round/egg shaped and measures 0.98 x 0.89 inches

SRO weighs 1.6 ounces

SRO features 8 brightness levels with 3-8 for daylight use and 1-2 for night vision gear

Battery = CR2032 with top loading battery

Dot Sizes = 1, 2.5 or 5 MOA dot

Motion sensor = not available

Footprint for mount = Same as RMR

Warranty = 5 years from date of manufacture

Retail Price = $ 749.00

FTP Optics Alpha 3

Window is tombstone shaped with window measuring 1.02 x .85 inches

FTP Alpha 3 weighs 1.46 ounces

FTP Alpha 3 features ten illumination levels optimized for daylight use

Battery = CR2032 with side loading battery tray

Dot Sizes = 6 or 8 MOA dot

Motion sensor = Yes. Dot will turn off after period of inactivity and then turn back on at same illumination level when motion it detected

Footprint for mount = Same as RTS-2 and Sig Max (please note RTS-2 mounts with blast shield will need to be clearanced)

Warranty = 30 months from date of purchase

Retail Price = $ 379.00 with free shipping

While the SRO is a good sight, it is not optimized for competition use. The dot sizes are much smaller and not ideal for pistol shooting in bright sunlight. Illumination levels are wasted to accommodate operators with night vision settings. The FTP dot is brighter at peak illumination levels and offers more illumination levels. The bezel of the lens on the SRO is thick and will add more protection if dropped but obscures the target more as a compromise. The glass is egg/round shaped while the FTP version is optimized to track the dot under recoil in the upper portion of the lens.  The dot sizes on the SRO are not optimal for pistol competition shooting. The SRO is heavier and the price point is much higher. The FTP Optic has a motion sensor to extend battery and diode life while the SRO does not.

I hope that helps!

Recently I had to switch to my backup gun that has an Alpha 2 (same size window as RTS-2) from my usual FTP Optics Alpha 3z I can’t believe how much harder it was to find and track the dot! You take it for granted but you usually find and track the dot in the upper portion of the glass and the FTP Alpha 3 glass size and shape make it so much easier!

alpha 2 vs 3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Michael303 said:

I don't suppose this will fit on a P320 Legion in the factory mount by chance? 

No. You have to get a Springer or similar plate and it will fit all day long. It’s the RTS2/Romeo3Max plate 

5 minutes ago, Posvar said:

No. You have to get a Springer or similar plate and it will fit all day long. It’s the RTS2/Romeo3Max plate 

Thanks. That's what I figured. I have an SRO on a Springer plate already and don't like how high off bore it rides. Looking for something that'll mount direct. Guess I'll keep waiting for the R1P to restock.

• 2 weeks later...