Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Steyr Revival

kyky

As someone mentioned on another topic, the Steyr L9, M9 and C9 serie handguns have been ignored by the Brian Enos masses.

My goal is to reactivate the Steyr topic. It is a surprisingly good handgun, that deserve more attention that has been given to it for so long.

My humble goal is to assist anyone to make their purchase decision a better experience.

I have made some videos about the gun.

But my hidden agenda is to use my newly acquired Steyr L9 A1 as a replacement for my beloved CZ SP-01 in competition, and see how far I can take it.

I know, those are really big shoes to fill, but once I shot a few 100 rounds through the Steyr, I found another amazing gun, with very "CZ" like attributes, in other words, the polymer striker fired gun that CZ should have build (I think it's a conspiracy. CZ designed it, but Steyr stole the blue prints and made it 🤣)

https://youtu.be/Snp5ZvNXO8E

Edited by kyky

An easier task if the L was a 5”, and the tabs at bottom of 15 Rd 9mm magazines turned out instead of in for magazine  extensions.  I have several M series and they are nice plastic striker pistols. Adding the BT striker spring retainer (GlideRite) cleans up what is an already acceptable trigger into something pretty decent. 

I am skeptical about the effectiveness of the bushing (https://www.btguiderods.com/category/steyr-acc/),

but you are saying that you can really feel a difference?

What about the Lee Spring, have you have a chance to try it?

Thanks Ben

Yes I see a definite reduction in creep due to the C clip replacement with a slippery piece of Delrin. I tried the Lee spring and found it unreliable for ignition. I think the grip plug and the Glide Rites are for sure. All 6 of mine have them. 

• 4 weeks later...

I have been a big fan of the L9 for a long time. It’s a beast of a gun, very balanced and accurate, grip angle is perfect for me. The more my eyes age the more I appreciate the peculiar Steyr sights. 

The biggest limitation for me is the extremely narrow mag well. Very difficult to use in a match. Also, the grip  texture  is old school, not enough texturing. 

The new MF model hopefully will address these and other issues. I called Steyr this week, and unfortunately they are now saying the release is for the end of May. 

That said, can you please decode the trigger comments you have made for a non expert? Which parts did you buy exactly and where? I’d be very grateful. 

Thank you very much in advance. 

Edited by dspring

It’s not a trigger part, it’s a striker spring part that removes drag from  the last bit of striker spring compression during trigger pull. You remove the slide, and remove the sliding plate at the rear of the slide to get the striker and striker spring out.  You need to compress the plunger that holds the plate in place with a small pointy tool. Be careful not to slip and let it fly into dimension X. 

Go here:

https://www.btguiderods.com/category/steyr-acc/

watch the video under

GlideRite Striker Spring Guide Rods Bushings. Then order a set. 

I’d buy the grip plug also. 

Bushings