Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel Challenge dry fire simulator

mazzer

Where I am it's not easy to set up live fire practise with the correct layouts.

So, I've created a basic simulator so I can dry fire at home and at least build up some muscle memory and try different sights, grips, etc. with something approaching the right sight picture.

I know there have been banners printed to do the same but I haven't found any I can get hold of easily, so I'm using a video projector which projects the stage layouts onto a 7x4ft screen in a room where I can get about 11feet of throw from the projector.

I'd be interested if anyone here with access to a projector (or very large TV!) could take a look at the graphics I've created and tell me if they think the relative sizes of the plates and the perspective looks OK. As an example, here's the Smoke & Hope graphic I've created. If you do want to try this, the centre of the graphic needs to be 5ft from the floor and the front of the 'shooting box' is 5ft from the screen.

Steel Challenge for Epson EBU05_Generic BG_Smoke&Hope2.jpg

Edited by mazzer

• 2 months later...

Very nice idea.  My approach was to take phone pics of all the stages at my range, then show them on my large family room TV at home for dry fire practice.

At a glance your pic above looks good.  I'm comparing it to one of the real life stage pictures on my phone.

I've improved it recently by adding this software: https://lasrapp.com/

along with a small laser pointer attached to barrel of my rifle and pistol, modified to turn on with a switch attached to the trigger.

So it's a fully working simulator now and has really helped my live fire speed and strategy. 

Alright, so I have a theater in my home with a 120" screen.  I've built a media center PC in there, and it runs SimRange LaserShot software.  I happen to have the Steel Challenge software.  So I'll post two cell phone pics, one is a picture of the LaserShot Steel Challenge Software of Smoke and Hope, the other is a full screen view of the picture you posted.  I'll let you extrapolate your own answer from that.

You will notice that they're both a little crooked, I am not a professional photographer.  They also look much larger in person, but to compare one against the other, this should suffice. 

First the image from the LaserShot system. 

lssmokeandhope-956999.jpg

And now the image you created.

othersmokeandhope-957000.jpg