Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S-2 Barrel

mike g

I'm going to build a 9mm major...and am looking hard at the s-2 barrel/comp. set up. I have looked for info about this combo on this site and have not ?? found much. I am going to keep the gun full length,so the s-2 needs to be my choise?. I have 2 other guns , one with the Bedell titanium comp, no barrel ports (.38sc) one with EGW 7port comp and 4 barrel ports (.38s). Are you user's happy with the s-2 set-up? I'm just putting a little extra $$$$'s to good use and playing. mike g

Not sure what you mean about s2 not being available. At this time, the s2 barrel is listed on the web site.

Let me preface this part of my comment by saying that I have no affiliation with STI, the following information is what was told to me when I inquired with STI:

The short blocks in 2011 are still available. Short blocks have only been dropped in the 1911 flavor. They are not appearing on the web site at this time as there were ongoing issues with folks using the online ordering to get the product without appropriate ffl info etc. They should be reappearing on the web site soon in a fashion that avoids this issue.

The s2 trubore in 9x23 has been an outstanding product for me!

I just built a 9mm open gun on a STI short block kit with the one piece S2 barrel/comp and it is awesome!! As far as I am concerned, there isnt a nicer barrel/comp combo out there. It is really hard to beat a one piece unit. Accuracy is top noch and it is a pretty flat shooter.

I have 2 guns with the trubor's on them one with an S-1 and the other with the S-2, I liked the S-1 so much I had the end of the S-2 cut off to get the same length as the S-1. With the S-1 you will be close to the same length as some shorty's but with all the benifits of the 5" barrel. The S-1 performs better for me with the slower powders as the S-2 liked them faster.

boynty77, jon merricks. I'm looking into the "Short Block" kit also. A little input, I dug out my P-9, 9mm comp gun and worked up/chronoed some loads with IMR 7625 in 9mm.(nickel+p once fired, Federal 1.10 oal. 7.2 grns. x 124 rem h.p. ,ppf=171,=1381 fps.) I was able to keep all 17 rounds in a 9" paper plate, rapid fire at 25 feet, I've never used this powder before. I don't feel that the vertical "dot" left the paper plate, if it did, it sure was back quick! BUT, I'm probably one of the few shooter's who has is got a good supply of WAP(Win. Ac. Pistol) powder on hand?. That same day I shot our match using both #7625 and WAP(both 174 pf) in my 5.5" 38s STI dot gun(shot stage w/each gun seperately). They were like night and day... many more a/a hits w/WAP and more a/c, hits w/7625(the spread was wide on the targets, stage times were very close) I guess?, I'm in the middle of THE OTHER,delemma, fast powder /or/ slower powder? I'm in the process of loading some P-9, WAP loads to the 171 p factor and again shooting both in competiton. I've been reading the Powder "posts". What are you using for powder?? (9mm major). The 9mm major makes sense/cents too me?, it will happen, just trying to learn all I can?.mike g

boynty77, jon merricks. I'm looking into the "Short Block" kit also.  A little input, I dug out my P-9, 9mm  comp gun and worked up/chronoed some loads with IMR 7625 in 9mm.(nickel+p once fired, Federal 1.10 oal. 7.2 grns. x 124 rem h.p. ,ppf=171,=1381 fps.) I was able to keep all 17 rounds in a 9" paper plate, rapid fire at 25 feet, I've never used this powder before. I don't feel that the vertical "dot" left the paper plate, if it did, it sure was back quick! BUT, I'm probably one of the few shooter's who has is got a good supply of WAP(Win. Ac. Pistol) powder on hand?. That same day I shot our match using both #7625 and WAP(both 174 pf) in my 5.5" 38s STI dot gun(shot stage w/each gun seperately). They were like night and day... many more a/a hits w/WAP and more a/c,  hits w/7625(the spread was wide on the targets, stage times were very close) I guess?,  I'm in the middle of THE  OTHER,delemma,  fast powder /or/ slower powder? I'm in the process of loading some P-9, WAP loads to the 171 p factor and again shooting both in competiton.  I've been reading the Powder "posts". What are you using for powder?? (9mm major). The 9mm major makes sense/cents too me?, it will happen, just trying to learn all I can?.mike g

I am trying to get the perfect load right now. Here is what I am working with right now

VVN340-7.5gr 124JHP Zero bullet mixed brass WSR primer 1.175 OAL

True Blue-7.1gr 124JHP Zero bullet mixed brass WSP primer 1.1475 OAL

I am getting a hell of a lot of flat primers with both powders, as well as inverted primers where the firing pin strikes the primer. I dont think if I am loading too hot or what, I will have to re-chromo my loads, due to the temp changes, 70-90 degrees variance.

I am going to try out Silhouette this week sometime. I will let you how that turns out.

The following 2 loads are working great for me. No flat primers. In fact they look identical to the factory 9mm I also shoot from the gun.

7.4 Longshot

1.170 OAL

124 Star fmj

WSR primer

mixed brass

170 pf

7.8 HS-6

1.170 OAL

124 Star fmj

WSR primer

mixed brass

170 pf

I cannot tell a difference in accuracy or recoil of either load. Both are soft and flat. I do think the HS6 is just a tad dirtier though.

Mike g, at 7.1 gr. of Tru Blue you shouldn't be getting flat primers. That's .5 gr. below what I and a lot of other people are using as a minimum charge weight. I suspect the flat primers may be resulting from your short 1.145 OAL. If you raise the OAL to around 1.165 your primers should look more normal.