Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CGW pro trigger and primers

chenault

As mentioned, the blue 13# spring that comes with the kit will run anything (provided you also have the extended firing pin and reduced power FP spring, both of which come with the kit). With the 11.5# hammer spring it should still run perfectly with Winchester and Federal primers. The difference is DA pull weight is fairly substantial so if you are reloading and have the option to only use Winchester primers (which tend to always be the cheapest for me anyways) then it is well worth it IMO. 

15 hours ago, robchavous said:

The 11.5# spring and extended fp will set off anything. I've probably shot 60k S&B's with that combo across 5 guns

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I had issues with that combo with Tula 9mm; maybe 1-2% would light strike. Tula is known to use harder primers, so this is not too surprising, and CGW specifically recommends Win/Fed for maximum reliability. S&B was fine for me with the 11.5# as well. 

2 hours ago, JDIllon said:

I have the extended firing pin and spring with the 11.5# spring and it handles CCIs with no problem!! I will never buy CCIs again!!! I've had nothing but problems loading with them. JD

Really?  What problems?

I was just telling a friend how I've gone through 15k this year problem free.  With that said, Win have become my new go to. 

3 hours ago, JDIllon said:

I have the extended firing pin and spring with the 11.5# spring and it handles CCIs with no problem!! I will never buy CCIs again!!! I've had nothing but problems loading with them. JD

I've never had problems related to CCIs and using them on my 1050.  Gone thru nearly 20k or more.  That said there are a lot of things in reloading that can cause primer issues.  Typically, the only primers I've had issues with ignition and an 11.5# main springs were Tula and Wolf.  

6 hours ago, regor said:

I had issues with that combo with Tula 9mm; maybe 1-2% would light strike. Tula is known to use harder primers, so this is not too surprising, and CGW specifically recommends Win/Fed for maximum reliability. S&B was fine for me with the 11.5# as well. 

Ditto with Tula and add Wolf too.  Maybe more than 1-2%.  Deep seating helped, but failed to solve the problem.

On 3/20/2019 at 2:38 PM, regor said:

As mentioned, the blue 13# spring that comes with the kit will run anything (provided you also have the extended firing pin and reduced power FP spring, both of which come with the kit). With the 11.5# hammer spring it should still run perfectly with Winchester and Federal primers. The difference is DA pull weight is fairly substantial so if you are reloading and have the option to only use Winchester primers (which tend to always be the cheapest for me anyways) then it is well worth it IMO. 

My experience with a 13# main spring in an SP01 was 100% reliability with anything except Tula and Wolf and that without an extended FP and reduced power FP spring.  That said both the extended FP and reduced power FP spring certainly will not decrease reliability.

• 3 months later...

How come the 11.5# hammer spring needs winchester and federal while the 11# I'm using lights off everything and has a lot of force? I hear of people using 9lb hammer springs and still using some hard/kinda hard primers

I have everything in that package but did it incrementally.   What you have to remember is that with the RRK(in this package), the hammer arc is less in DA, so force less, springs being equal.  This is obvious comparing the gun before/after the modification.   I have not tried any CCI primers since the RRK install but Win and of course Fed are 100%, even with a CZC 10lb hammer spring I was playing with.  DA is the real question so test there.  I seem to remember the instructions recommend a 13lb spring for reliability with everything.  The CGW 11.5lb spring feels almost the same as the 10 lb so I just use that and call it done.