Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

22 lr compensated pistol barrel

hamiltonian

I have a  Ruger 22/45 I use for Open Rimfire Pistol.  It has a CMore mounted and TacSol barrel.  It is threaded, and I have one of the TacSol compensators on it.  I recently noticed that accuracy started diminishing.  I got a variety of ammo and shot it at 25 yards off sandbags and it shot about 8 inch 10-shot groups.  I thought maybe the CMore mount must have come loose, so I removed and loctited the mounting screws again.  Went back to the range and got 8 inch groups again.  I removed the compensator, and the pistol immediately began shooting 1 inch groups at 25 yards.  Has anyone ever experienced this with the TacSol compensator?  Is is just dirty?  Thanks for your input.

Any comp on a 22LR pistol will lead up.  I have to clean mine out 4-5 times per season.  The only reason for a comp on a 22 is to make a louder noise for the timer.  Go for a bigger port comp so it it easier to clean out.  Yours is so clogged it might be better to buy new, and then maintain.

I had a similar experience with accuracy on a compensated AR rifle.  

After researching a number of forums for help I came across the topic about a false crown that develops due to a buildup of fouling on the crown of the barrel.  Also that it should usually pop right off in one piece while unscrewing the brake.   Sure enough when I removed the brake I was able to see scratch marks that resembled a damaged crown in the buildup that was present, and mine only partially chipped off.   After completely removing the fouling the groups were restored to where they were before.

I have also just started to use a compensator similar to the TacSol on a rimfire rifle and I cleaned it after 500 rounds not due to accuracy issues,  Just because it is new to me.  Soaked it in Hoppe's No. 9 and just pushed a pin that matches the diameter of holes through it, The fouling cam out easily in chunks. 

It seems a false crown can develop with compensator usage on any type of gun.  If it is uniform there will be no issue with accuracy and you will not even know it there unless you are looking for it.  Otherwise  a simple cleaning of the crown restores the accuracy.

I found that the aluminum comps are a lead magnet.  I have switched all my comps over to the Tandemkross GameChanger Pro.  It's made of steel.  It is heavier, but doesn't lead up at all.

https://www.tandemkross.com/Game-Changer-PRO-22lr-Compensator-for-Ruger-MK-SW22-Victory-Browning-Buck-Mark-more_p_433.html

Also, another manufacturer out there is working on a new style comp with a specialty coating that lead will not stick to.  But it's not out yet... https://www.tecperformance.com/

*disclaimer: I am a sponsored competitor for Tandemkross and TEC Performance is a friend of mine... 

Thanks for all the replies and advice.  I have had this comp on the barrel for a few years and at least 10,000 rounds and have never cleaned it.  I will check for a false crown and give everything a good cleaning.  I can tell a little difference with and without the comp, so I will try the tandemkross comp.

I had the TacSol compensator on my Ruger Mark III and it leaded real bad.  It's a PITA to clean.  I opted for a new compensator from Allchin.com and am very happy.  The holes are huge and it's easy to get to.  I also clean it in my vibrator cleaner with a mix of 50 per cent vinegar and 50 per cent peroxide.  I also find that just leaving it in the solution for a few hours will loosen up the lead and I can scrape it out with a brass punch.

22 hours ago, PeterParfinik said:

Curious how you made out?

I went out and practiced steel challenge without a comp on the barrel, and could not tell a difference in my stage times.  I am running 85-90% compared to the new par times.  My timer picked up the shots fine, so I might leave it uncompensated.  If I just can't leave it alone, I will try one of the Allchin or Tandemkross comps.  I am too lazy to clean out all of the holes on the   tactical solutions compensator

Putting a comp on a 22 will not improve your stage time.  You cannot transition fast enough to reach a new target before the dot has settled.  The reason for the comp is to make the shot louder.  Not all timers are sensitive enough to reliably pick up an uncompensated 22, especially a rifle, and especially with standard velocity ammo.  Be prepared for reshoots if you do.  I RO steel matches.  For some shooters I have to hold the timer out in front of the shooter, where it is potentially distracting.  If I don't, the timer doesn't pick up all the shots and a reshoot is required.  The shooter almost never betters their time on the reshoot.

Just buy a cheap comp with big holes.  I clean my 22LR comps out with a drill.

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 9:50 PM, hamiltonian said:

Thanks for all the replies and advice.  I have had this comp on the barrel for a few years and at least 10,000 rounds and have never cleaned it.  I will check for a false crown and give everything a good cleaning.  I can tell a little difference with and without the comp, so I will try the tandemkross comp.

I hate to say it but the TacSol comp is cool looking BUT is the worst POS out there. I love all of their products but the comp it WILL lead up badly and it will affect the round to the point you will get some keyhole rds. If you have 10K thru it without cleaning I am surprised the bullet will even come out. Take it off and look from the threaded end out to the crown... I bet you will not like what you see. I actually threw mine away I could not in clear conscience even sell or give it away. I tried several others with some success but cleaning was still a issue then I changed to TK game changer PRO ( and I AM NOT a sponsored shooter )  end of problems After every match it comes off and goes in the 50/50 mix to soak 24 hrs. Being stainless there is no problem of oversoaking and damage. Comes out clean as new.

• 5 months later...

I soak my aluminum comps in the 50  50  mixture of white vinegar and hyd peroxide.  It works great.  I leave mine in the solution for at least 6 hours.  Many people I talk to seem to be adverse to soaking their comps in this mixture.  I have not had any problems and have been using it for several years.

• 4 weeks later...

Try ditching the comp and just shoot regular ammo. The new AMG lab timers eliminate the need to make pistols or rifles louder since they pick up the shots just fine. The AMG even picks up my rifle with a suppressor. Never having to clean another .22 comp is an awesome thing. 🙂

So guys I have a question.

My Tac-Sol Aluminum compensator just arrived and I was just going to throw it in the gun stuff drawer but I had an idea......

what would happen if I drilled out the center bore to lets say twice the size it is now....Would this reduce the lead build up and allow accuracy to remain the same as if the pistol or rifle had no comp?  

Seems it is worth a try since I had decided after reading this thread that Iwas not going to use this comp.......

Thoughts, comments, concerns.....Am I just asking for other problems.... I will not do this  until I receive feedback from this brain trust......Thanks. Mark

If you are going to use the comp just leave it alone. You will just need to keep it clean.Coated ammo will help a lot there. I've had good luck with the pink coated CCI ammo. Same specs as CCI Mini Mags with, what appears to be , the same bullet shape. They have been very reliable and accurate in both my pistols and rifles.