Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RIA Pro Match Ultra HC or Para Pro Custom

Steve-O

Looking to get a cheap Limited gun for the time being should I get the RIA Pro Match Ultra HC or Para Pro Custom? I know there no STI but just want something to play with right now in Limited, coming from Single Stack and tired of all the reloads lol. Thanks 

1 hour ago, Pfiddy said:

Spend a few bucks, replace the extractor, slide stop, hammer, sear and disconnect. It’ll save you a lot of frustration. 

I would also change out the thumb safety, I have seen instances where they break with heavy use.  

I had the Pro series 40 back when it was hard to figure out what mags would work and what would not. The pistol was the most accurate 40 that I have ever had.  That includes some that cost 3 times the money. I would get another one. I wish they would make the same pistol in 9mm.

When It comes to the Rock Island 2011 type gun  does the regular 2011 parts fit like safeties, extractors, sights, triggers and mag releases or are there specific Rock Island parts? 

1 hour ago, CzViper said:

Pretty solid gun especially for the money. Sure it could use some refinements and personal touches but it'll do the job.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I’ve never owned a Rock Island so hopefully your right, as long as it’s reliable and pretty accurate I will be happy. 

Edited by Steve-O

Mine has been 100% reliable so far. And it's still stock minus the springs and pinned the grip safety.

Definitely accurate. I could probably be better with it if it had a trigger job. But I'm testing it out and pushing the round count on it stock first.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

36 minutes ago, narleyskier said:

I had Atlas do the trigger job and all the components on my Para and my Sti   They do great work and both guns have been running like a million dollars

I talked to Adam about a trigger job on my Colt Competition and he didn’t want to do it so I had another Smith do it. I will call him again and see if he will be willing to work on my RI 

Edited by Steve-O

You will take a significant loss on a RIA/PARA style limited gun as well as the special magazines it needs. Verses getting a used STI Edge or similar and then you can use the same mags for whatever custom gun you want and also have a viable backup gun to your custom gun.

You can do whatever you want, but it doesn't make much sense to invest a significant amount of $$$ into a temporary blaster when the bulk of what it needs can't be used on what you plan on switching to long term.

54 minutes ago, CHA-LEE said:

You will take a significant loss on a RIA/PARA style limited gun as well as the special magazines it needs. Verses getting a used STI Edge or similar and then you can use the same mags for whatever custom gun you want and also have a viable backup gun to your custom gun.

You can do whatever you want, but it doesn't make much sense to invest a significant amount of $$$ into a temporary blaster when the bulk of what it needs can't be used on what you plan on switching to long term.

He's right, I lost my @$$ on a RIA double stack that no one would even make a fair offer on.  In the end it went to my preferred LGS for future credit on something else.

25 minutes ago, superslowmo said:

He's right, I lost my @$$ on a RIA double stack that no one would even make a fair offer on.  In the end it went to my preferred LGS for future credit on something else.

Iam not going to sell it I keep guns for my collection even if I don’t use them. But I know what you guys mean it’s not ideal but I want to modify it even if it’s just a trigger job and that it does need. 

For a few hundred more you could get a CZ tactical sport or a Tanfoglio limited. Both are superior over the Rock Island.

I have a Rock island Tac ultra hc 40 that I used for a season but looking back I wish I went with a CZ or Tanfo. 

I also have a Para p18 Canadian made. The quality is much better than the RI.

I cant remember the last time I shot the Rock Island.

Edited by je85

I had a double stack RIA 9mm that I started with. It ran fairly well but did have some parts break. 

I’d have to agree with Cha-Lee though. There happens to be a decent tri topped and lightened Edge for sale in the classifieds ;)