Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

History question

elguapo

Thank God USPSA is not trying to be authentically tactical. That kind of thing would bring out the weirdos en masse. I personally like that it's a sport, and that almost no one at a match is thinking about how it applies to killing people. I think we all know that having incredible gun handling skills could save our lives one day, but that is not some I want to dwell on.
As far as equipment goes, what we do with our race guns comes naturally when we pick up a typical carry gun. I would have no interest in driving my toyota tundra around a race track, and I wouldn't enjoy competing with my carry gun.
I'm quite satisfied with where USPSA is today.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

On 3/21/2019 at 5:37 PM, elguapo said:

The practical is what people use in their daily lives.  When it comes to handguns, hardly anything that is practical looks like what we use in USPSA.

When was the last time you saw a 40 oz handgun in the holster of a private citizen or police officer?  Or a holster that barely covers the trigger and not much else?

Last time I saw a Smith 4506, which isn't that long ago.  Almost 42 oz.  I also routinely see 1911's.  Which although standard is only 39oz, is close enough that I think the point is made.  Triggerguard holsters, not that often, but I've seen people carry in Yaqui Slide style holsters which is pretty close as well.  And a lot of those retention methods found in race holsters have also migrated to more secure duty holsters.  My 3 Gun holster is a Safariland 6378.  Guess what holster I'm wearing right now with a Glock 19 in it at work.  

Now that you mention it, Chuck...

2 years ago I visited Manhattan and talked to a lot of NYPD officers while I was there. Even though GLOCK is the standard issue duty sidearm, more than a few were carrying 4506's (or something so similar as to make no appreciable difference). A few joked that the piece could still be employed as a bludgeon if shot dry. 

A few years...ok maybe more than a few, I went through an FBI firearms instructor course. They drew out this long equation on the board with depth, length of boat, current speed etc.  The punchline was it was to determine the number of Smith 10mm’s they were issued needed to properly anchor the boat. 

• 6 months later...

I was fortunate enough to attend an event in Sept 2019 where many of the original IPSC founders got together and shot early 1980s courses of fire.  Most recent blog post on that event has high res pics of the original ITEM and OPTION targets with the original drawings from the 1976 conference minutes. Also re-hosted the PDF of the minutes (which aren't complete, since they don't include both target drawings).  Those interested in such things might find the other posts in the series of interest.  Still digging through notes and pics and have a few more posts to do, including a post of the 1977 World Shoot course book.   

http://blog.krtraining.com/2019-practical-pistol-reunion-1976-target-designs

6 hours ago, Steve RA said:

Link doesn't work for me.

It could be the material on the first page: http://blog.krtraining.com/

There's also a link to

COLUMBIA CONFERENCE PROCEEDINGS

RECORD OF PROCEEDINGS

COLUMBIA INTERNATIONAL COMBAT PISTOL CONFERENCE

May 24—29, 1976

https://www.krtraining.com/IPSC_1976_Columbia_Conference_Minutes.pdf

Edited by perttime

• 2 weeks later...

I think people get wrapped around the gear in discussions of practicality, and forget about the shooting.

The important transfer that I think USPSA provides is what I've heard referred to as "skills on demand". I.e., a regular competitor can pull out a gun quickly and engage targets rapidly and accurately, reload rapidly, and move around while doing all those things. Doesn't really matter whether they are using a .38 SC open gun or a Beretta M9.

The gear is really irrelevant to that conversation- in the Marine Corps our best shooters were guys that did 3 gun and USPSA. Somehow they were still better than all the non-competitors, despite not having their free floated lightweight ARs and 42 oz 2011s with race holsters.