Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

drop free 10/22 magazines

Sparten8654

In my experience, the stock and mag release can both make a difference.

If rubbing on the stock, sandpaper the sides of the magwell slightly.
If the mags aren't rubbing on the sides of the stock, an extended release may be the ticket, mostly because they let you "push the button in further", for lack of better explanation.

Note: extended releases, though nice, can lead to accidentally tumbling out the mags when you don't want them to(snagging on belts, packs, fences, whatever) -- not a big deal in most competition, just something to watch out for.

I think the easiest way to isolate what needs changed is to separate the stock from the action and see where they are hanging up by test fitting in each. They should drop though the stock, and also drop free of the receiver, if that makes sense.

1 hour ago, Harpo said:

In my experience, the stock and mag release can both make a difference.

If rubbing on the stock, sandpaper the sides of the magwell slightly.
If the mags aren't rubbing on the sides of the stock, an extended release may be the ticket, mostly because they let you "push the button in further", for lack of better explanation.

Note: extended releases, though nice, can lead to accidentally tumbling out the mags when you don't want them to(snagging on belts, packs, fences, whatever) -- not a big deal in most competition, just something to watch out for.

I think the easiest way to isolate what needs changed is to separate the stock from the action and see where they are hanging up by test fitting in each. They should drop though the stock, and also drop free of the receiver, if that makes sense.

The issue is the inside of the stock which is a plastic American stock by  ruger  i already sanded and beveled the edges and some of the sticking points seems like plastic tends to grip more

On 3/19/2019 at 10:40 AM, Sparten8654 said:

The issue is the inside of the stock which is a plastic American stock by  ruger  i already sanded and beveled the edges and some of the sticking points seems like plastic tends to grip more

If I'm reading that correctly, you're having more trouble after sanding?
If so, you might need to either remove a little more material or slick up the contact points with maybe some silicon based lube or wax - apply it, then rub off what you can(I'm thinking along the lines of what some people do with pistol mag carriers, or ski waxing).

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2019 at 10:33 AM, Jeff_Alan said:

An even better solution is:  https://www.tandemkross.com/Double-Kross-1022®-Magazine-Body-for-the-Ruger®-1022®-Rotary-Magazines_p_226.html

Gives you two magazines at your fingertips and a handle to remove the empty.  You do need to switch the internals from two stock Ruger 10/22 magazines into the TK housing but that's pretty easy.   TK also sells them in a group of three (Equal to 6 Ruger magazines) and an installation tool for about $40.  The clear housing is a plus for keeping track of what's still in each magazine.

Another issue that I've encountered is over-torqued stock screws. Cranking the stock screw too much causes the stock-to-receiver fit to change and has adversely affected one of my 10/22s.

Also, if the mags are new, I'll insert them into the receiver 50 - 100 times to knock the sharpness off of the mag screw ring and any other areas that cause resistance. 

image.png.a088ac3e8f86c26c1fee9be57e18982a.png

• 2 weeks later...