Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open shooters, do you clean/lube during match?

B_RAD

22 hours ago, zzt said:

Well Sarge, that is not the case with mine, at least until Weapon Shield CLP.   August- no problem.  January, sub 30- big problem.  Should be the same out your way.  I will note that my backup gun, with a looser slide to frame fit does not have this problem.

I’ve never shot in cold temps like that. Moved out of the north down south 7 years ago so the coldest weather I ever shot in is probably 45 degrees. I bet shooting in 20 degree weather causes some issues. 

10 hours ago, Jfitz427 said:

I bet shooting in 20 degree weather causes some issues. 

We don't shoot when the temps are below 25.  Pasters won't stick when it is that cold.  One hit and they all fall off.

On 3/19/2019 at 11:08 PM, zzt said:

Well Sarge, that is not the case with mine, at least until Weapon Shield CLP.   August- no problem.  January, sub 30- big problem.  Should be the same out your way.  I will note that my backup gun, with a looser slide to frame fit does not have this problem.

Good way to combat cold - use the gun cover, and insert a hand warmer in the grip.  The ones my wife uses stay VERY warm for many hours.

17 minutes ago, Foxbat said:

Good way to combat cold - use the gun cover, and insert a hand warmer in the grip.  The ones my wife uses stay VERY warm for many hours.

That is exactly what I do, ESPECIALLY with my steel grip guns.

11 minutes ago, Silverscooby27 said:

Can you guys make any hand warmer recommendations, particularly ones that may be found on Amazon? Thanks!

I use the Hot Hands brand. I found them really cheap at Sam's club about this time of year a few years back.

https://www.amazon.com/HotHands-Hand-Warmers-Odorless-Activated/dp/B0007ZF4OA/ref=sr_1_3?hvadid=77721780882875&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvqmt=e&keywords=hand+warmers'&qid=1553388121&s=gateway&sr=8-3

1 hour ago, echotango said:

I use the same. Walmart also sells them. They last a very long time. Always carry an extra pair and once in a while you get a dud. And always on the coldest morning!

Wow, I thought I was just being OCD but I have had one not as hot as the other a few times and one that barely worked at all once. Glad it wasn’t me.😊

On 3/18/2019 at 5:37 AM, B_RAD said:

Wondering if any of you might clean or add lube to your gun halfway thru a match?

I did when it was new. It was explained to me that the tungsten sleeving of the barrel was quite abrasive and needed to be smoothed by the slide. I just applied lots of lube during this period and now I can shoot about 2-3k rounds without issue. I have never let it get longer than that so far. 

I would recommend Lucas Oil or Mobil 1 Syntehic 5W-30. These seems to work the best. I was told NOT to use CLP or other "detergent based" oils. 

What caliber are these cleaning shooters using? I am curious because faster hotter powders in general burn dirtier than slower powders. For example, the comp on my Limcat, after running 2-3k rounds with Vithovouri 3n38, looks barely fouled. I have seen guns in person some photos on here showing a ton of fouling with less than 1k rounds. 

1 hour ago, Nevadazielmeister said:

I did when it was new. It was explained to me that the tungsten sleeving of the barrel was quite abrasive and needed to be smoothed by the slide. I just applied lots of lube during this period and now I can shoot about 2-3k rounds without issue. I have never let it get longer than that so far. 

I would recommend Lucas Oil or Mobil 1 Syntehic 5W-30. These seems to work the best. I was told NOT to use CLP or other "detergent based" oils. 

What caliber are these cleaning shooters using? I am curious because faster hotter powders in general burn dirtier than slower powders. For example, the comp on my Limcat, after running 2-3k rounds with Vithovouri 3n38, looks barely fouled. I have seen guns in person some photos on here showing a ton of fouling with less than 1k rounds. 

I just asked because I was having malfunctions and someone mentioned that my gun appeared to them to not be lubed enough. They mentioned they run a bore snake thru their gun half way thru a match and added more.lube. 

I believe my issues were ammo related but wanted to know if it was standard practice to clean/lube during matches. 

Most people I know are shooting 9 major. 

The key is to find a lube that stays where you put it, doesn’t dry out and doesn’t burn off

I've been using kelube fo years, and is sold by Neil Keller of Keller custom gun, it’s fairly thick, it stays where you put it, it doesn’t dry out and after 1000 rounds there is still oily residue on the outside of my barrel

the only place I’ll put slide glide on a open gun are the top and standing lugs

and stay away from CLPs, when I clean my gun, I use a solvent, to lube I use a lubricant, CLPs makes  sense if your out in the boonies 

if you’re not use dedicated lubes

I do not apply anything during a match. Using Extant Labs Alpha Sauce my gun looks like I just lubed it even after 700 rounds. This stuff has micro ball bearings in it for long lasting smoothness and stays put even well after 1k rounds. 

Edited by Posvar