Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open shooters, do you clean/lube during match?

B_RAD

I do not …... … i use a good quality gun oil and never noticed my gun going dry during a match ...I ALWAYS clean my  guns after shooting it... that way its ready for the next shoot...

Wondering if any of you might clean or add lube to your gun halfway thru a match?

I usually run a brush through my mags throughout the day to keep them reliable. Otherwise, no I run Lucas oil on my guns and it lasts for quite a few practice sessions & matches.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

My main Open gun is a very tightly fit custom gun.  In Winter matches I could not go more than two stages before I started getting stovepipe jams.  Lubing after every two stages solved most of that.  In summer I could usually go three or four stages, so I lubed after three.

I have quite an array of lubricants.  All of them work in other pistols, but not this Open gun.  Then I tried Weapon Shield.  It just works.  I can get through a typical 6 stage match without worry.  I even got through a 13 stage Level III match without problems.  Since Weapon Shield, the only time I had a stovepipe jam was at a monster match.  That was after a 63 target falling steel stage that got shot machine gun quick.  I was at 350 rounds fired at that point.  A quick shot of lube at the safe table and I was back in business.

BTW, their cleaner works very well.

I do not. I’ve never actually shot my gun enough rounds without cleaning to see where it starts failing. The longest I went without cleaning was 600 rounds. 3 range days in a row and it ran just as well at the end as it did the Beginning of the first day. It’s not very dusty where I live so that may be a factor. The only thing that collects in my gun is the residue from burnt hs-6, which is a filthy powder. But even with dirty ass hs-6 it keeps going. 

Ive only shot smaller local matches and ive had no problems. I do a thorough clean and lube after each practice or match, or right before I go out to shoot again. But when I do shoot a higher level match, hopefully this year I’d probably want to break it down halfway though and do a quick wipe and relube. It only takes a minute. 

I use Slip-2000 EWL year round. It’s the perfect consistency for year round here (40-95 degrees). I use it for all my guns, ARs, bolt guns, FALs and pistols. Works great for all of them. 

I do not.

I always start match with a clean & lubed gun. When I'm able to practice during the week, I still only clean & lube once a week just before next match.

My favorite lube is Valvoline SynPower 5W-30, although I used Mobil1 5W-30 for many years with zero problems.

Only time these don't work flawless is if the temp stays below freezing - then 0W-20 is the ticket.

I used to, when I had a mag that didn't work   :(   Took me a few months to diagnose

the problem, so after every stage I'd run over to the safety table, wipe the gun and grease it.

Now that I'm sure of the gun, ammo and mags - no need - but I'll still wipe it once in a

while out of habit - no disadvantage.

But, I clean every mag that hits the ground .    :) 

59 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

But, I clean every mag that hits the ground .    :)

Hi-Power, this is the great part of our sport. Experienced competitors know that you need time after shooting a stage to clean all the mags that hit the ground. And they will give you time to safely do this just as you will gladly paste targets as they clean up their equipment.

7 hours ago, Sarge said:

If a reasonably clean, lubed gun won’t make it through a match without more lube or cleaning something isn’t right. 

Sarge, Open guns are hard on lube.  Lots of Open shooters lube every time the are near a safe table.  Although I could go several matches between cleanings, I don't.  It's not a clean issue, it's a lube issue.  The Jan and Feb matches were all cancelled this year, so I didn't get to see how well Weapon Shield CLP held up below freezing.  I know it works well between 40 and 90.

10 hours ago, Sarge said:

If a reasonably clean, lubed gun won’t make it through a match without more lube or cleaning something isn’t right. 

I completely agree with sarge I clean my open gun every 4 or 5 matches without issue. If a gun won't run without cleaning and lubing every sub 100rds something is wrong.

If I had to clean or lube my gun during a match I wouldn’t own it

My gun must go about 1k between cleaning that way when I’m shooting, I’m concentrating on hitting the targets instead of worrying if my gun will jam 

16 hours ago, rishii said:

If I had to clean or lube my gun during a match I wouldn’t own it

My gun must go about 1k between cleaning that way when I’m shooting, I’m concentrating on hitting the targets instead of worrying if my gun will jam 

What he says. 

On 3/18/2019 at 6:48 PM, zzt said:

Sarge, Open guns are hard on lube.  Lots of Open shooters lube every time the are near a safe table.  Although I could go several matches between cleanings, I don't.  It's not a clean issue, it's a lube issue.  The Jan and Feb matches were all cancelled this year, so I didn't get to see how well Weapon Shield CLP held up below freezing.  I know it works well between 40 and 90.

I literally know of no Open shooter I ever shoot with who lubes a gun periodically during a match. I think if I did they would stop using it until fixed.

My Open guns will go 1000 rounds easy between cleanings and I add a drop or two of oil when I Incase.

Well Sarge, that is not the case with mine, at least until Weapon Shield CLP.   August- no problem.  January, sub 30- big problem.  Should be the same out your way.  I will note that my backup gun, with a looser slide to frame fit does not have this problem.

I always clean my gun the week before a match and then shoot at least 100 rounds to verify everything works well. Most weeks I fire another 500 rounds before the next cleaning. Sti Grand Master with no modifications. No fancy oil, just gun oil. Mis-feeds about once every 10,000 rounds.

11 hours ago, zzt said:

Well Sarge, that is not the case with mine, at least until Weapon Shield CLP.   August- no problem.  January, sub 30- big problem.  Should be the same out your way.  I will note that my backup gun, with a looser slide to frame fit does not have this problem.

Well, I'm not ashamed to admit I don't shoot in the cold. Once when I was still gung ho enough to shoot in the cold I had experimented with slide glide lite. UTTER FAIL. LOL