Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow 2 OAL and commercial reloaders (Fenix / Atlanta Arms)

nick779

Hi all, im anxiously awaiting the arrival of my Cajun built S2 and was trying to figure out what commercial reloading company's cartridges will fit. The two im most interested in are Fenix and Atlanta Arms. After doing a good bit of reading, Ive basically come up with "it varies" what can work and its heavily dependent on the bullet used. Reaming is possible, but ive heard that its getting harder to find places that will do it, although I assume that CGW might be able to do it while its still at their shop.

Can anyone comment on fitment/plunk test of 147gr cartridges from Fenix or Atlanta Arms in a S2?

Edited by nick779

It will probably help to stick to plated bullets or these FMJs if you want to load long in a short-chambered gun. They’re .355 - instead of .356 like most coated bullets - so the thinner diameter doesn’t interfere as far back in the chamber.

Additionally, many of the FMJ profiles are pointier than their coated counterparts, so the shoulder (ogive) of the bullet is pretty far back. This is also helpful.

(A great example of this is winchester white box. It’s around 1.160” long but chambers in any CZ because the 115gr bullet is extremely long and pointy and the ogive is almost back inside the brass.)

Don’t discount 124s, either. I prefer the feel of a 135PF 124 to an equivalent 147 in a heavy metal gun like the S2 or a Tanfo, and I know several Ms and GMs who agree. The gun doesn’t feel sluggish - and those bullets can often be loaded longer IF you select the correct profile.

Buy some small batches of both weights, and see what you think. THEN place your bulk order.

278B1F80-B277-4117-9180-A3B384CBF86B.jpeg

29FE4221-9E56-4F54-B8EA-F1807A84C7E9.gif

Edited by MemphisMechanic

1 hour ago, MemphisMechanic said:

It will probably help to stick to plated bullets or these FMJs if you want to load long in a short-chambered gun. They’re .355 - instead of .356 like most coated bullets - so the thinner diameter doesn’t interfere as far back in the chamber.

Additionally, many of the FMJ profiles are pointier than their coated counterparts, so the shoulder (ogive) of the bullet is pretty far back. This is also helpful.

(A great example of this is winchester white box. It’s around 1.160” long but chambers in any CZ because the 115gr bullet is extremely long and pointy and the ogive is almost back inside the brass.)

Don’t discount 124s, either. I prefer the feel of a 135PF 124 to an equivalent 147 in a heavy metal gun like the S2 or a Tanfo, and I know several Ms and GMs who agree. The gun doesn’t feel sluggish - and those bullets can often be loaded longer IF you select the correct profile.

Buy some small batches of both weights, and see what you think. THEN place your bulk order.

Thats some great info there and yeah as much as I want to just order bulk to save on shipping, id rather do a test batch from both Fenix and AA just to check fitment and feel. Ive been shooting Speer Lawman 124 from my P10C and I measured them at 1.156-1.160 over 10 rounds and theyre more long nose FMJs, but im curious how they compare to these other "softer" loads.

Ill probably order 100 of 124/147 from both just to compare it with what I have. 

Edited by nick779

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2019 at 5:58 AM, MemphisMechanic said:

29FE4221-9E56-4F54-B8EA-F1807A84C7E9.gif

great info. keeping this to refer this knowledge, Thanks MM

2 hours ago, eerw said:

great info. keeping this to refer this knowledge, Thanks MM

Can’t claim the images as my own, but I do keep posting and referring to them because they’re so good.

”How long can I load ammo to fit in gun XYZ” is a topic that keeps coming up, and the only correct answer is “load some test rounds and find out.”

These help novice reloaders understand why.

I have an xdm 525. And a buddy has an xdm 4.5. His blue bullets load will not chamber in my gun and they measure the same length as the fenix 147 re-man i use. The 5.25 seems to have a shorter throat as well. 

The ogive on the fenix is rather pointy so it shouldnt be an issue. 

I use fenix 147g re-man training ammo for my match ammo. I really like it. I order it by the 1,000. Its about $230 shipped i believe

Edit. If u wanto pm me i can email u a picture of a fenix round vs. a blazer brass 124g if interested.

Edited by TravisB_02