Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

FN SLP FTF

HorizonT_s

My FN won’t feed shells from the magazine. The shell stop doesn’t pivot when the bolt goes back. I have tried a new mag spring, a  lighter mag spring, cleaning and polishing all with no luck.  Any one have this happen before and come across a fix?

So I went down to the safe and pulled my old SLP to see if i can help.  There is a cone type spring under the back end of the shell catch.  This spring pushes out in the back of the shell catch therefore moving the front in and releasing the shell. If the spring is broken , missing or just weak it will not be able to push out on the back of the catch.  I do not shoot the SLP any more switched to a Browning A5 and this spring has to be changed on those guns almost right out of the box to feed with a extended tube on them.  I believe I got the spring for the Winchester SX2.  All those guns have the same design, and it is easier to find the parts for the Winchester. Brownells should have them. 

I guess i should of asked at the start is the mag tube in the stock configuration or are you running an extension.  If running an extension does it function if you put it back to stock. Not sure how old your gun is mine is the older police version with the cantilevered barrel.  Every spring in that thing was stiff as heck when it was new.  They may have changed their spec on the shell catch spring over the years.  Just  keep track of the little clip that holds in the shell catch pin, they have the tendency to take flight on removal. I keep a few spares just incase.  I actually was cleaning mine before a match once and noticed it was missing.  

Gotca keep it in the stock configuration and try the shell catch spring and go from there.   Also check to make sure the shell stop spring witch is on the other end of the shell catch is in it home and is able to be compressed far enough to release a shell.  You basically have two springs working against each other. 

• 2 weeks later...

Didn’t have time too yet. It went down about a week before my first major 3-gun match so I decided to pick up a Hayes Custom Benelli M2. When I get a chance I’ll get the springs ordered and see if I can get it working. Then it will be on back up duty. I really loved the  rear sight on it for slugs it was like cheating.

I would venture to say you will never look back now having the M2 .  I love my A5 but know if it need the SLP it is always waiting on stand by . It’s like an American Express never leave for a big match without it. 

If you have not already checked, see if your interceptor latch pivot pin is broken.  I had this happen a couple of times when I still ran a SLP.  When my pin broke it would still allow the interceptor latch to look like it was working until it had the pressure of a round against it.  The broken pivot pin would allow the interceptor latch to move just enough out of alignment that it would not operate with pressure against it.  Both halves of the broken pin in place still kept the interceptor latch basically in place.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

When you look into the ejection port on the lower edge you see a little hole in the side wall of the receiver.  Within that hole is the interceptor latch pin or as Winchester calls it "carrier latch pin"  There is also a little Hair Pin "carrier pin retainer" that keeps it in place.  This is the pin that the carrier latch/interceptor latch/shell stop pivots on.  If you go to Brownells.com and look up the Winchester SX 2 shotgun (basically a FN SLP) and select the schematic view you can see and exploded view of all the parts and then select the SKU tab to get a little more information, SKU #, cost, etc on the specific part.

Like I previously mentioned above this may not be your issue but I had similar symptoms when this pin broke in my SLP.

Hope this helps,

Jeff