Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Federal Small Pistol Magnum primer packaging

GrumpyOne

Why, can someone tell, does Federal package their primers in such an awful way, using 3-4 times the plastic and cardboard that other primer companies use? And then to package them on their side instead of on the flat side? 

They didn't always use that monster packaging.  I once had some very old Federal primers that I picked up in an auction with some other reloading stuff.  They were packaged in packaging very much like CCI's come in now.  (BTW, they seemed to work like normal for me...)  

I "heard" the packaging change came after some unintentional detonations during shipping.  Can't personally verify that, but I don't believe they would add that expense if they didn't HAVE to...  

Federals DO ignite easier than other brands...  

I heard the same shipping rationale with the additional explanation that when the regulation came out that primers had to be individually isolated the idea of the sideways orientation is safer as the tops and bottoms are protected. Got to admit it is pretty dang solid packaging. I do have old primers where the pack of 100 is about the size of a match box and they're all just packed in there. 

It is wasteful, I say change it and lower the prices of the primers...like that's ever going to happen haaha. They'll use the whole material pricing increase is forcing sales price increase line heh.

The reason Federal went to the large packaging is that in the '90's, when they used the smaller packages, a skid of primers was dropped/fell and exploded taking out the building.  I don't remember if anyone was killed. IIRC it was on the East Coast.

There was a great shortage of primers for us PPC shooters, and that's when I set up my revolvers for CCI's.

Remember that Federal primers are one of the most sensitive primers, if not the most sensitive, out there.

Edited by RePete

In WW2 the Federals were designed as jungle canopy troop harassment devices. When dropped from a plane onto jungle canopy the primers would slide off foliage but would explode when they contacted something as solid as the ground or a person. While not fatal they were known to create a blister wound that often lead to infection.

Sometime later it was discovered that they could also be used in pistols but packaging safety was critical. 

15 minutes ago, IHAVEGAS said:

In WW2 the Federals were designed as jungle canopy troop harassment devices. When dropped from a plane onto jungle canopy the primers would slide off foliage but would explode when they contacted something as solid as the ground or a person. While not fatal they were known to create a blister wound that often lead to infection.

Sometime later it was discovered that they could also be used in pistols but packaging safety was critical. 

LOL!