Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 AOL problem

I just cleaned and relubed the press, also added roller bearing over shell plate and nylon ball along with an aftermarket long press return spring. Love the return spring!!

Problem, before the cleaning I had .004 to .005 difference in AOL. Now I have a .014 difference?? I used the recommended space of for under the shell plate. I even tightened it up and it is still a problem?JD

The shell plate tips a bit if not completely loaded - and that can affect OAL.

You don't need longer runs - I load  loaded cartridges where they should be

(in stations 3 & 4 in my SDB - I don't know how many you need in a 1050)

and put empty cases every where else - then crank a few out - should be

a lot better.

BUT, a longer run is okay also   :) 

30 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

The shell plate tips a bit if not completely loaded - and that can affect OAL.

You don't need longer runs - I load  loaded cartridges where they should be

(in stations 3 & 4 in my SDB - I don't know how many you need in a 1050)

and put empty cases every where else - then crank a few out - should be

a lot better.

BUT, a longer run is okay also   :) 

And...I might add that you want to make sure you are seating primers just flush of the case (after all your adjustments). I ran into this problem and thought it was a seating depth problem but found it was due to primer seating depth. 

Well, maybe after-market upgrades weren't.

I know this may sound insulting, but did you readjust your dies after the change over? If not, did the after-market stuff mean that the ram isn't going down as much? Are you sure everything is tight?

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/17/2019 at 8:26 PM, GringoBandito said:

And...I might add that you want to make sure you are seating primers just flush of the case (after all your adjustments). I ran into this problem and thought it was a seating depth problem but found it was due to primer seating depth. 

My primers seat .010-11 above the base. If not I sometimes get misfires. I want those suckers going bang when I pull the trigger

I had to change the four lockdown screws with the thinner white locking tabs and the screws with thinner heads that secure the ring that holds the shell plate. 

The original screws and tabs were too thick after I installed the roller bearings kit and wouldn’t let the tool head go all the way down. 

Edited by HI5-O

Thanks for all of the input. I have been out of state for some weeks and havn't been running anything. I have made all of the checks above. After I make my next run, I will let you guys know.  Thanks again, JD