Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Revolver Holster for Steel and ICORE?

Demus319

Looking to get a Holster for my SW 929. I shoot mostly Steel Challenge in production class so Im going to shoot only revolver in both Steel Challenge and ICORE.  I've been looking at Holsters so I would like to get more info,  pros and cons from guys that use them or if there other options.

Speed Beez,  AA Racemaster,  CR Speed #2000

Thanks

I'm a Double Alpha fan.

My revolver holster is the old style RaceMaster without the magnet.

Works great never had a gun come out of it, etc.. I've used it for 6-7 years of fairly regular use.

If you want you can get a muzzle support.

I bought one, tried it and went back to just the straight holster.

Found it a PITA to get the gun in with the support.  Also didn't like the idea of something stuffed in the muzzle crown of the gun.

Honestly enough good shooters use either the DAA or the CR speed either should be fine

Never have seen anyone use the SB so can't give any insight on it.

I have been using a Bladetech for years, the speed beez is really similar to it. On an other note Hogue makes a custom one for the 929 that I picked up and am using since last fall and it really works great, I like the release a lot better on it than the cr's  and AA ones.

On 3/17/2019 at 2:52 PM, Demus319 said:

Looking to get a Holster for my SW 929. I shoot mostly Steel Challenge in production class so Im going to shoot only revolver in both Steel Challenge and ICORE.  I've been looking at Holsters so I would like to get more info,  pros and cons from guys that use them or if there other options.

Speed Beez,  AA Racemaster,  CR Speed #2000

Thanks

Are you actually shooting your 929 in production and not one of the 2 revolver divisions in Steel Challenge? 

If you are, serious props. I did it once, at the East Coast Steel Championships. Shot a 929 from an IDPA legal 4” N frame holster. It was hilarious, draw was a quarter second slower- which is quite a bit for me. 

If not, I think the DAA Alpha X is the holster to get if you only want one holster and shoot many different revolvers. If you only shoot 1 barrel profile on a revolver, the Hogue holster is the one you want.  

I switched to the fairly new Comp Tac USPSA competition holster for my 6.5" N-frame, and really like it.  Seems to have all the security and simplicity of the standard kydex rig (e.g. Blade-Tech DOH) with the speed of the dedicated race models, and is specifically sized for my barrel length.  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/06/29/new-comp-tac-revolver-holsters-idpa-uspsa-compliant-models/amp/

Edited by Carmoney

5 hours ago, Gomar83 said:

Carmoney I have done a little searching for the USPSA model of this holster and am striking out, but it appears to be the same as what Speed Beez is selling. Any thoughts?

https://www.dillonprecision.com/comp-tac-international-uspsa-icore-revolver-competition-holster_8_0_26494.html

MWP I’m going to shoot ISR in Steel Challenge. 

On 3/18/2019 at 7:57 PM, MWP said:

Are you actually shooting your 929 in production and not one of the 2 revolver divisions in Steel Challenge? 

If you are, serious props. I did it once, at the East Coast Steel Championships. Shot a 929 from an IDPA legal 4” N frame holster. It was hilarious, draw was a quarter second slower- which is quite a bit for me. 

If not, I think the DAA Alpha X is the holster to get if you only want one holster and shoot many different revolvers. If you only shoot 1 barrel profile on a revolver, the Hogue holster is the one you want.  

I like the DAA holsters because they are very flexible.  I can use a 6" GP100, 4" 625, 6.5" 929, and 4" Redhawk without changing a thing.  You do need to clean them out occasionally though, they will get stiff over time with dirt/sand/dust/etc.