Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Backup Gun

BelRiose

On 4/1/2019 at 11:26 AM, BelRiose said:

What’s the recommended “parts kit” for a 2011? I’m guessing extractor, ejector, sear, firing pin, firing pin spring? I’m sure I’m missing some. 

recoil spring, mainspring, magazine catch, barrel link and link pin, slide stop, rear sight (if using adjustable sight) .... I'm sure I'm missing some too.

I never saw much need for it......... UNTIL my 2011 slide cracked a month ago 🙄 and the manufacturer will not give me an ETA on repair. I already have registered for numerous level 2 & 3 shoots over the next few months and will probably have to withdraw now. It's expensive to buy a backup gun but if there is anyway you can afford I would highly recommend it.

I never saw much need for it......... UNTIL my 2011 slide cracked a month ago [emoji849] and the manufacturer will not give me an ETA on repair. I already have registered for numerous level 2 & 3 shoots over the next few months and will probably have to withdraw now. It's expensive to buy a backup gun but if there is anyway you can afford I would highly recommend it.
ask if they could give you a loaner. that's bs if you have to drop matches

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, jsoupene said:

I never saw much need for it......... UNTIL my 2011 slide cracked a month ago 🙄 and the manufacturer will not give me an ETA on repair. I already have registered for numerous level 2 & 3 shoots over the next few months and will probably have to withdraw now. It's expensive to buy a backup gun but if there is anyway you can afford I would highly recommend it.

time to buy yourself a fancy custom gun, lightly used (there is a nice CK limited gat in the classifieds right now), then when you finally get your gun back, either keep it as a backup, or sell it, or sell the lightly used custom gun you just bought.

Honestly, who needs an excuse to buy a new gun? The kids can get free lunch at school, right? We had to send a gun back for warranty last winter. I just went down to hawktech and bought a new Edge and shot in the match that weekend.

There is a lot of gun-loaning around here when stuff like that happens. Shooter X has to send his gun in to be fixed, so shooters Y and Z offer him the use of guns they have sitting unused in the safe. It is especially prevalent among the folks that are involved in helping out with the club and setting up matches and stuff, because they are all good guys who trust each other.

Edited by motosapiens

I have always liked having a backup gun for whatever division I shoot. I have only had to resort to shooting the backup once and that was with my PCC. I had to rob a firing pin from my backup open gun at nationals last year to repair my primary gun. The best spare parts kit to me is a complete gun.

I can now speak from personal experience, as this past weekend I had an extractor issue  with my 2011 on my first stage. Even though I had an extra fitted extractor, I wasn't able to verify for sure that the extractor was definitely the problem until later. Fortunately, I brought my old Limited gun (an M&P), based in part on the advice people posted here, and I was really glad that I did.

The one thing I messed up was not bringing the M&P mag pouches, so I just tightened up the 2011 pouches as much as I could and tried not to bounce too much when I ran. What's relevant there is that if your backup isn't identical to your primary, you need to make sure that you have the correct ammo, holster, magazines, pouches, etc... It definitely adds to the sheet amount of stuff you have to haul around.

I'm definitely going to look into getting a new backup that is functionally identical to my primary..

4 hours ago, BelRiose said:

I'm definitely going to look into getting a new backup that is functionally identical to my primary..

We had the same experience this week!  I’m in the same boat. This 2011 is eventually going to back a custom one up.