Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Backup Gun

BelRiose

Topic for discussion.

How important is a backup gun for USPSA? How close does a backup need to be to your primary (obviously closer is better)?
Really depends on the scale of competing you're planning to do. Im competing in three Area matches, 4 sectionals and Nationals. Im a limited division competitor. Having a backup is imperative, even if borrowed, in the RARE case something happens to my gun.

I reload so my ammo is very controlled, guns and mags are tuned by me, all other gear is frequently checked by myself. Control as much as you can to eliminate variables and seek the assistance of a gunsmith if needed.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

When I shot a Glock in production I brought a backup because I had one. Also had full set of spare parts in my range bag. Now I’m shooting a 2011 in limited and can’t afford a spare. So my plan for this season is to have fitted spares of everything I can replace at the safe table.

I think that, at a minimum, you should have spare parts and the knowledge to install them. Sooner or later you will break something on your gun. Even if it’s just a local match, I’d still want to fix things so I can finish the match

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, Rnlinebacker said:

depends on the scale of competing you're planning to do. 

Shooting 8 local matches a year - no reason for a back up gun.

If you start shooting 30 - 40 matches a year, it's a great idea, especially if you're shooting OPEN.

Start travelling and spending $150+ for entry fees, it's poor economy NOT to have

a backup gun..   :) 

The reason I'm asking the question is that I just upgraded to a 2011 from a tricked out M&P 2.0.

I'm going to have more time this year to focus on shooting (hopefully moving from the 8 matches a year category to around 30). The money for a complete backup is significant (even if I go with a stock or lightly upgraded Edge or similar), but I want to get more serious and try to work my way up to A class.

Do most of you shoot a similar design (i.e. a 2011 backup for a 2011 primary), or an identical one (i.e. a LIMCAT backup for LIMCAT primary).

The reason I'm asking the question is that I just upgraded to a 2011 from a tricked out M&P 2.0.

I'm going to have more time this year to focus on shooting (hopefully moving from the 8 matches a year category to around 30). The money for a complete backup is significant (even if I go with a stock or lightly upgraded Edge or similar), but I want to get more serious and try to work my way up to A class.

Do most of you shoot a similar design (i.e. a 2011 backup for a 2011 primary), or an identical one (i.e. a LIMCAT backup for LIMCAT primary).
using a 6 inch 2011 for Limited Division. in the process of getting a backup. In my opinion, you don't need to spend primary gun money on your backup unless you want to. Try to keep your budget around 2k unless a super smoking deal comes along that you can't resist. practice, practice, practice!!!

6 minutes ago, Rnlinebacker said:

using a 6 inch 2011 for Limited Division. in the process of getting a backup. In my opinion, you don't need to spend primary gun money on your backup unless you want to. Try to keep your budget around 2k unless a super smoking deal comes along that you can't resist. practice, practice, practice!!!

That's actually similar to my situation. I have a 6" gun, but my backup would probably be a 5" just due to price and availability.

That's actually similar to my situation. I have a 6" gun, but my backup would probably be a 5" just due to price and availability.
So I will present you with a conundrum. In my 6 inch gun my ammo makes 168-170pf comfortably at chrono. In my 5 inch Trojan, and a handful of other 5 inch guns, the same ammo is sub major at right about 160-164pf. So I'm shopping around for a 5.5 or 6 inch backup myself. Got a 6 inch lined up but it's meant to me a primary so I'm gonna make a new problem for myself [emoji23][emoji23]

I had two almost identical TruBors (OPEN 9mm major).   PF was similar enough

that they both used the same ammo.

But, I didn't use PF168 - I was PF 172+.

I'd make up some ammo that is PF 168+ in your Trojan, and use it in both guns.     :) 

A lot of factors come into this question/answer, especially when it comes to what gun and division you're in.

Running production, having a backup gun is much easier since most of the time they're polymer guns and somewhat inexpensive. Granted getting into Prod with CZ's and the like isn't cheap. I run the P320 full size in Production and have an exact replica for a backup because the gun wasn't expensive and the upgrades weren't either. This actually saved me in a match when my trigger system started having issues (that I still haven't solved yet) and I was able to go to my backup.

When you get into Limited, Open, and even Single Stack a backup gun could be $2000 and multiples higher. So that might not be possible. So look into what parts are most likely to break and keep them in a parts kit in your range bag at a minimum. Also make sure you have the tools and knowledge to replace them if you had to at the safe table at a match.

I believe if you can get a backup, you should. Especially if you're going to travel for Level 2 and above matches. And I'd say make it as identical as you can. More expensive guns might have to leave the backup stock, but at least it will look and feel similar and perform PF very close (testing will confirm this).

Just my thoughts.

I recently went to a major match 5 hours away and only brought the one gun I had for that division. I had an issue on the 2nd to last stage and didn't know if I would be able to finish. Luckily, someone in the squad had an extra part I was able to drop in and finish the last stage. I have guns specifically for other divisions, so I am selling those to get a backup for the division I am focusing on. You're right, it's a significant cost, but this ain't a cheap sport... 

I guess I should have been smart enough to realize that "buy once, cry once" is actually too generous!

Buy twice, cry twice.
Yeah this. But only if you buy two guns then never compete with them. Then it's like buy twice, cry perpetually as you pay your ammo bill

1 hour ago, jmtyndall said:
20 hours ago, BelRiose said:
I guess I should have been smart enough to realize that "buy once, cry once" is actually too generous!

Buy twice, cry twice.

Yeah this. But only if you buy two guns then never compete with them. Then it's like buy twice, cry perpetually as you pay your ammo bill

And replace parts, and buy mags and pouches and whatever else...

Sometimes I wonder what it's like to have a cheap hobby.

I was following silently but going to jump in. This topic is relevant for me as I'm having this discussion with myself as my "year of the Revolver" is coinciding with "feeling confident enough to start shooting majors." I have three Level 3's on the books, two are overnight stays away. Still getting my 627 worked out and wondering if I need a second one before I venture out of town. The cost is daunting considering this infatuation might be "getting it out of my system" and  I could very well come to my senses and scurry back to Limited major or check out the latest hotness here: Carry Optics... Oh well, good thing the kids have good jobs because I'm spending their inheritance!

59 minutes ago, BelRiose said:

And replace parts, and buy mags and pouches and whatever else...

Sometimes I wonder what it's like to have a cheap hobby.

I find shooting to be very inexpensive compared to racing motorcycles. Sure, you can make it expensive if you want, by traveling alot, buying overpriced guns, etc...

If you travel with friends that shoot the same division, you can also arrange a mutual aid pact and share stuff if a gun unexpectedly dies. I have found shooters to be pretty generous and helpful. Several people have offered me the loan of their guns as emergency backups when traveling to a major match.

This is a good idea if you can do it. My primary and backup guns are both 2011s (STI Edge / STI Eagle) and are the same caliber, same sights, same trigger both at 2.5 lbs, same extended mag release buttons, etc. I used to use the Eagle when I shot IDPA so I already had it in the safe when I started shooting Limited in USPSA with the Edge. If I have to go to my backup it feels almost the same as my primary. Having said that I’ve never had an issue with the Edge, but it’s nice to know it’s in the bag. 

I look at it as “by the time you REALLY need a back up (if it costs you an area match or national win), then you’ll be good enough that someone gives it to you for free”. My back up to my 2011 is a full spare parts kit and a glunk 35 with factory ammo in the meantime lol

On 3/30/2019 at 6:30 PM, theblacklabel18 said:

I look at it as “by the time you REALLY need a back up (if it costs you an area match or national win), then you’ll be good enough that someone gives it to you for free”. My back up to my 2011 is a full spare parts kit and a glunk 35 with factory ammo in the meantime lol

I know a few who go this route. They’ve spent a few G’s on their primary, then keep a small parts kit for it for the parts with the highest likelihood to brake. Then they have a production like backup with some simple upgrades (sights, magwell, etc) just in case of castastrophy.

I know a few who go this route. They’ve spent a few G’s on their primary, then keep a small parts kit for it for the parts with the highest likelihood to brake. Then they have a production like backup with some simple upgrades (sights, magwell, etc) just in case of castastrophy.

It may not be the correct route, but it hasn’t failed me yet lol. Eventually I’ll get a used beater 2011 for the “oh crap!” moments

4 hours ago, theblacklabel18 said:

It may not be the correct route, but it hasn’t failed me yet lol. Eventually I’ll get a used beater 2011 for the “oh crap!” moments

Yup, that's what I'd look to do as well. I'll have a backup gun that's a bit different than my primary (X5 vs P320 w/ Magwell), so I got the holster and drop for it so all I'd have to do is swap that one large part out on my belt and I'd be good to go.