Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Preferred Dot for Open - 8 MOA or 10 MOA

tke37617

Been shooting DPP 2.5 on open gun for about 1 year and have trouble with locating dot.  Have a 6 MOA RTS 2 on a CO gun and do better picking up the dot on it.

Would like to try RTS2 in 8 MOA or 10 MOA.

Are these too big for Open guns?

Thank you!

15 minutes ago, tke37617 said:

Been shooting DPP 2.5 on open gun for about 1 year and have trouble with locating dot.  Have a 6 MOA RTS 2 on a CO gun and do better picking up the dot on it.

Would like to try RTS2 in 8 MOA or 10 MOA.

Are these too big for Open guns?

Thank you!

I think an 8 would be ok. My cmore was an 8 and it was fine. I’m actually looking to buy an RTS2 now used that’s an 8. I think I’d prefer a 6 though. 

I have (2) 6 MOA RTS2's and (2) 8 MOA RTS2's.  Both are very bright in the sun and i like the shape of the window.  I have also tried a friend's 2.5 MOA DPP, both dots are very nice in IMO.  Try both to see which one you like best.

I have used Sliderides, RTS2s and DPPs for Open guns.  The DPPs are all 2.5 MOA and most of them replaced the RTS2s (6 MOA).  They will go on both of my new Open guns.  The Slideride (also 6) will be replaced if I decide to keep the gun it is on.  I love the Burris FF3s, but 8 MOA is too big for Open, IMO.  I use them on other guns.

Great info so far.  Many of you have confirmed what I worried about with an 8 being too large.  I saw where Atlas is exploring the Holosun sight.  It looks very large.  The thought of the 65 MOA circle surrounding a 2 MOA dot sounds like it might be great for instant pickup of many targets out to a certain distance.

An 8 MOA in the rts2 is about perfect for uspsa. It's close to the 6 in the old slide rides. 

The 6 is also good. The 3 is a bit on the small side. I haven't been shooting the 10 yet but I bet it's like shooting the old slide ride 8. With both eyes open shooting I don't find precision loss at speed at long ranges. 

Shot 8 for awhile...then switched to 6....put the 8 back on and sent my 6’s back off to cmore to be changed into 8’s. The majority of what we do in ol USPSA is to pick up fast close target and the 8 helps better with that...the distance shots are still shot with a fast enough speed I don’t think the finer 6 matters....unless your shooting head shots at 25 yds but how often does that happen opposed to 15 yd or closer targets? When it’s super bright out too  the 8 really shines. 

Have a C-more SlideRide with 12moa, love it. Beautiful sharp circle, need brightness less than half. Very easy to locate. Aim with the whole dot or just upper/lower edge.

Replaced it with a RTS2 6moa. Need more brightness now, making the dot less sharp.

I prefer the RTS2 setup, but the 12moa dot of the SlideRide.

5 hours ago, GhostDog said:

Have a C-more SlideRide with 12moa, love it. Beautiful sharp circle, need brightness less than half. Very easy to locate. Aim with the whole dot or just upper/lower edge.

Replaced it with a RTS2 6moa. Need more brightness now, making the dot less sharp.

I prefer the RTS2 setup, but the 12moa dot of the SlideRide.

all fine n' dandy but did you get a permission slip for "GhostDog"?? :)

Back in the 90's 10moa was the norm and every once in a while some geezer would show up with a 15......some guys used as big as 20moa for steel challenge......The cmore's came out with 8's and everyone had to have an 8................Everything is going smaller these days.......I like the 6's.....I can always turn it up to starburst if I need something big for close stuff.....