Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI 2011 Xylan coated mags...good,bad,meh?

vgdvc

I’ve seen them when browsing  Dawson or Brazos sight ordering mags but never bought any. The regular ones work great, so I’ve never felt the need to pay extra for that. I think they’re like 75 bucks? The regular ones are 49.99 now. Great time to stock up. 

The Xylan coated mags came standard with my Marauder and work great.  I also have the stainless mags that I use with my Edge.  I’ve had no issues with either however, I’ve not noticed any real advantages for the xylan over the stainless.  I think the xylan mags would be a good investment to have a few for shooting in less than desirable wet weather.  Overall though both types have preformed well for me to date. 

8 hours ago, DaleGribble82 said:

The Xylan coated mags came standard with my Marauder and work great.  I also have the stainless mags that I use with my Edge.  I’ve had no issues with either however, I’ve not noticed any real advantages for the xylan over the stainless.  I think the xylan mags would be a good investment to have a few for shooting in less than desirable wet weather.  Overall though both types have preformed well for me to date. 

Thanks for the input. How is the Xylan coating holding up from wear do to reloads,dropping on ground etc.?

@vgdvc So far they’ve held up quite well.  I ran them pretty hard recently during some rain and was doing reloads in the fly letting them fall free by way of gravity into the muddy muck below my feet.  I’d pick them back up and wipe them off and they kept running fine.  Finish has stayed intact this far.  They are fairly knew.  I’ve only been running the Marauder since November, but only time will tell.  I’ll definitely keep you posted. 

Edited by DaleGribble82

5 hours ago, DaleGribble82 said:

@vgdvc So far they’ve held up quite well.  I ran them pretty hard recently during some rain and was doing reloads in the fly letting them fall free by way of gravity into the muddy muck below my feet.  I’d pick them back up and wipe them off and they kept running fine.  Finish has stayed intact this far.  They are fairly knew.  I’ve only been running the Marauder since November, but only time will tell.  I’ll definitely keep you posted. 

Thanks.

45 minutes ago, geraldskip said:

I got some of the first batch a year or two ago and had really bad luck. The coating would bind and the mags wouldn’t drop free, even though they were in spec. 

I dont see the purpose for them and would suggest against. 

Thank you for the feedback. Are yours gen 1 or Gen 2 magazines?

• 2 weeks later...