Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
PeterParfinik

ZERO for Steel Challenge

I know  this topic has been talked about a lot, but I am curious what everyone likes to use for their zero in Steel Challenge.  Be specific of what type of firearm you are using.  RFRO, PCCO, Open,  etc. 

My club has a state of the art 25 yard indoor range so I take advantage of it.  My Volquartsen Lightweight Rifle,  Scorpion Pistol and CMMG Guard 9mm PCC all sighted in at that distance. Works great. 

Most challenging shot of the 8 stages = 18 yards to a 10 inch plate.

all guns = 18 yards

Edited by Hammer002

RFPO and Open, both with slide mounted optics.  Approx. 20 yards.  I've tried 14 and 25.  It makes no difference.

For example if you are shooting .22lr ammo with a muzzle velocity of 1145fps with an optic with a 6moa red dot according to this MOA calculator

http://www.shooterscalculator.com 

If you're sighted (zeroed) anywhere between 17 and 23 yards.

The biggest targets at the longest range in Steel Challenge are the 18" by 24" rectangles at 35 yards on Speed Option and Outer Limits.  A 6 MOA dot covers 2.2" at 35 yards so with most .22lr ammo the bullet will impact within the dot.

The smallest targets are the 10" round plates at 18 yards in Pendulum.  A 6 MOA dot will cover 1.13", again the bullet will impact within the dot.

If you're not shooting .22lr, you can use a ballistic calculator like the one above to create a chart for your gun and ammo, then figure exactly what distance to zero your sight.

Or you can just zero anywhere between 17 and 23 yards like the rest of us and be good to go!

11 hours ago, Ming the Merciless said:

Or you can just zero anywhere between 17 and 23 yards like the rest of us and be good to go!

Ming, thank you for reminding me to just keep it simple!  LOL. 

I am in the process of switching platforms from an M&P 15-22 to a KIDD 10/22  and just wanted to hear some input on peoples zero preference.  

Stop plate on Smoke and Hope works for me. That's 42' down range from the front of the box and 45 from the back of it.