Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

ZERO for Steel Challenge

PeterParfinik

For example if you are shooting .22lr ammo with a muzzle velocity of 1145fps with an optic with a 6moa red dot according to this MOA calculator

http://www.shooterscalculator.com 

If you're sighted (zeroed) anywhere between 17 and 23 yards.

The biggest targets at the longest range in Steel Challenge are the 18" by 24" rectangles at 35 yards on Speed Option and Outer Limits.  A 6 MOA dot covers 2.2" at 35 yards so with most .22lr ammo the bullet will impact within the dot.

The smallest targets are the 10" round plates at 18 yards in Pendulum.  A 6 MOA dot will cover 1.13", again the bullet will impact within the dot.

If you're not shooting .22lr, you can use a ballistic calculator like the one above to create a chart for your gun and ammo, then figure exactly what distance to zero your sight.

Or you can just zero anywhere between 17 and 23 yards like the rest of us and be good to go!

11 hours ago, Ming the Merciless said:

Or you can just zero anywhere between 17 and 23 yards like the rest of us and be good to go!

Ming, thank you for reminding me to just keep it simple!  LOL. 

I am in the process of switching platforms from an M&P 15-22 to a KIDD 10/22  and just wanted to hear some input on peoples zero preference.  

On 3/18/2019 at 7:36 AM, ZackJones said:

Stop plate on Smoke and Hope works for me. That's 42' down range from the front of the box and 45 from the back of it.

That's all well and good, Zack, but I have a problem hitting that stop plate.  So that just does not work for me!  LOL!

In all seriousness, I usually just zero everything at 25 and then test at 10, 15, and 20 to see where I'm hitting.  For me if I can put the dot on the plate and it hits the plate, I'm a happy camper.