Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

hogue grips

odjoe

Oh yeah, I guess hammers would fall (teehee) under ITAR regulations.

Mike, let Hogue know that you're expecting a commission. I placed an order for custom-sized, silly-big butts like yours after seeing that photo (though in a different wood). Just sent them some brass and moons so they can ensure enough clearance when reloading.

• 3 months later...

Typing this with a bruised web and inner thumb. Was practicing Bill drills basically. 7 rounds into a 6" pie plate at 10 yards. With typical mousefart ammo was no issue, but going to my 180 and 158 grain match ammo my hands took a beating and gun jumps around a bit.. Really first time doing this with revolver.  
Anywho about grips, had Altamont  square but conversions. Just put the factory rubber back on. But havent shot it. My loads are fairly stout. Looking at grip options and found this thread. Also my fingers are long I guess and seems like I could use some kinda covered backstrap.
I have also read that the only thing rubber does is give recoil a running start. Also as mentioned still got the exposed backstrap with these UM's
Any tips or experiences to offer in my new grip search ? Or just suckit up and practice ?Gun is a 686 RB

38 special? What power factor?

If you want to spread out recoil, you need a grip with a broad surface across the back of it. My 44 mag wears a set of the Ahrends square butt tactical grips. They're the best I've found for recoil, and I've got a box of grips.

http://www.ahrendsgripsusa.com/tactical.htm

All my competition guns wear Miculek grips. I prefer them at the power levels we shoot in competition, even at major, but there's differing opinions on that here.

I detest rubber grips. Sticky, gross, slimy when sweaty....

29 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

pf around 180,  those ahrends cover the backstrap ? can u post a picture from rear of gun so I compare ?
Yeh sweat an issue, been hot and humid like a sauna last couple months.

On my 625 and 627 I've replaced my fancy wood grips with the X-Frame grip from Hogue.  It covers the backstrap and provides a good cushion for the major pf loads I shoot in the 625.  Hogue's site says they are good to go on a variety of grip frame sizes https://www.hogueinc.com/grips/smith-wesson/xzframe/s-w-k-l-n-x-z-frame-round-butt-rubber-conversion-monogrip-black

+1

Just about all of my revolvers have the X frame Houge grip. I have larger hands and like how they feel. I had various types of grips but most end up feeling too thin and didn't fill out my grip.  I put them on my competition revolvers and then just put them on most of my other revolvers (610, 625's etc...) even if they aren't for competition. Now when I pick up and shoot a revolver they feel exactly the same.

pf around 180,  those ahrends cover the backstrap ? can u post a picture from rear of gun so I compare ?
Yeh sweat an issue, been hot and humid like a sauna last couple months.
The Ahrends have a broad surface near the web of your hand. All of the grips I've ever handled that covered the backstrap were a bit pointy in this area. There's a hard rubber one from the factory right now that covers the backstrap. With 44s, it hits the base of my thumb hard enough to cause swelling in the joint. More flat surface means less pounds of recoil per square inch of hand.8cba92af997f3552a6ba907e8869c0fc.jpg

• 3 weeks later...