Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shadow 1 vs Shadow 2 for Carry optics

Rye

I've never shot the shadow 2 as much. Maybe just test fired it. didn't even remember if I like it and probably why I haven't bought one yet. I have an accushadow which I like. I am in the fence of building a carry optic gun and was wondering if one is better than the other. I like the ergonomics on shadow a bit than shadow 1. For those people who owned both. I want to hear your opinions. Thanks in advance. 

S1 is gonna need less weight reduction (if any) to make weight. That'd make me think it'd be easier/cheaper to set up for CO. 

I've had both guns. I don't feel the S2 gives any advantage over a S1 that's been set up correctly. However, I like the S2 better. Its almost ready to run out if the box, IMO.

If I shot one in production, I'd go with the same one for a CO setup. 

Both are awesome!

Edited by B_RAD

17 minutes ago, B_RAD said:

S1 is gonna need less weight reduction (if any) to make weight. That'd make me think it'd be easier/cheaper to set up for CO. 

I've had both guns. I don't feel the S2 gives any advantage over a S1 that's been set up correctly. However, I like the S2 better. Its almost ready to run out if the box, IMO.

If I shot one in production, I'd go with the same one for a CO setup. 

Both are awesome!

Thanks. Well said. 

Tough question.. I shoot a Accu-Shadow in CO, a Shadow 2 in Production.. I really like the Shadow 2 and use it for 3 gun. I really like the Accu-Shadow and it shoots way better than I do so I really can't justify changing guns for CO.  I think they are both great guns and  I really don't think you can make a bad decision here.

Depending on the optic you choose the shadow 1 wont need any slide lightening done. Worse case you have to get lok lightweight grips and plastic guide rod.

The shadow 2 will have to have slide lightening so thats an added expense.

I would recommend the same platform if your going to be switching back and fourth between carry optics and production.

Both are excellent options and neither of them will hold you back.

What it comes done to is what has better ergonomics for you.

For me its the shadow 2 but its different for everybody.

A few of my buddys used the shadow 2 last year and they switched back to the shadow 1 because it feels better to them.

Shooting the two back to back I noticed no difference in dot movement. The dot goes up to the top 3/4 of the optic window and comes right back to the first shot.

I have both and both are setup for Carry Optics. I find the Shadow 2 offers no advantage over the traditional Shadow. As a matter of fact, I may prefer the original Shadow slightly as it seems to have better balance. 

I went back and forth on this for a while and realized the 2 fits my hand a little better, so I got a second slide from Stuart and had the CZC shop mill it and lighten it.

Now I stick with the same gun and swap slides depending on what mood I'm in.

My buddy has a Target II and is on the fence about doing the same thing with his.

It all comes down to your hand size and preferred grip IMO.

i shot a Shadow2 for over a year in various configurations and thought it was nearly perfect until I picked up a Bull Shadow from CZC.

the grip profile fits my hands better and the sights just return to their position effortlessly. It’s really easy to shoot it well.

it does have drawbacks though. No grip checkering, standard magwell opening but I think the controls are more comfortable.

it all comes down to your specific size shape and needs/wants from the pistol.

To me, a stock SP01 Shadow is not nearly as nice to hold and compete with as a stock Shadow 2. Change only recoil and main spring and the difference is even more pronounced how well the Shadow 2 is out of the box. I find the grip/frame of the Shadow 2 to be far superior for me and what I do.

I have one SP01 Shadow I've kept just to shoot IDPA with, that's it.

I have had two different SP01 Shadows set up for CO and like 4 for Prod. I'm now on my 4th Shadow 2 for Prod and I had a slide only for CO.

Neither gun comes optic ready. The SP01 will only need whatever slide cut you want and make weight. The Shadow 2 will need more attention under the mill.

To answer your question then I say it comes down to a few things, money and current inventory. A new SP01 Shadow is $880. A new Shadow 2 is $1,150 if you like gray. The $270 difference will cover a fair bit of the milling cost. You'll use the exact same mags in either so that's not a comparative cost issue. So you'll save maybe $2-300 ish dollars per gun if you keep both totally stock and just get milling done??

Which brings us to current inventory. What do you have now? If you have two SP01 Shadows then that's a far different answer. Now if you have one of each......

To me, when I build up a SP01 I end up putting in a ss guide rode, different disconnector, different rear sight, different hammer, different springs and different grips at a minimum. If you can't do this work yourself you've priced yourself up to a Shadow 2 easily.

Enough shops have done the work now that everyone should be past the learning phase on milling your Shadow 2 and getting it to weight. I say go with the current gen of equipment, the Shadow 2.

2 hours ago, rowdyb said:

To me, a stock SP01 Shadow is not nearly as nice to hold and compete with as a stock Shadow 2. Change only recoil and main spring and the difference is even more pronounced how well the Shadow 2 is out of the box. I find the grip/frame of the Shadow 2 to be far superior for me and what I do.

I have one SP01 Shadow I've kept just to shoot IDPA with, that's it.

I have had two different SP01 Shadows set up for CO and like 4 for Prod. I'm now on my 4th Shadow 2 for Prod and I had a slide only for CO.

Neither gun comes optic ready. The SP01 will only need whatever slide cut you want and make weight. The Shadow 2 will need more attention under the mill.

To answer your question then I say it comes down to a few things, money and current inventory. A new SP01 Shadow is $880. A new Shadow 2 is $1,150 if you like gray. The $270 difference will cover a fair bit of the milling cost. You'll use the exact same mags in either so that's not a comparative cost issue. So you'll save maybe $2-300 ish dollars per gun if you keep both totally stock and just get milling done??

Which brings us to current inventory. What do you have now? If you have two SP01 Shadows then that's a far different answer. Now if you have one of each......

To me, when I build up a SP01 I end up putting in a ss guide rode, different disconnector, different rear sight, different hammer, different springs and different grips at a minimum. If you can't do this work yourself you've priced yourself up to a Shadow 2 easily.

Enough shops have done the work now that everyone should be past the learning phase on milling your Shadow 2 and getting it to weight. I say go with the current gen of equipment, the Shadow 2.

Well said rowdyb.

OP: If saving a few hundred dollars overall is not a big deal and the frame fits your hands then the Shadow 2 would be the best choice.

One other note. The shadow 2 milled and lightened will have a higher resale value and be much easier to sell then the shadow 1 down the road.

FIT
Best to try both and see "fit'
More specifically, if you are Men's glove size "L", either gun will probably fit, see which you like best. (I'm "L", I still prefer gen 1 with with Scales 2.0 grips that increase the circumference a small amount, but its still much less than Gen 2.
If you are mens "M" or smaller, you may prefer the smaller grip diameter of gen 1with thin grips  (and look into both CZC or Cajun reach reduction kit).
If you are XL or greater, gen 2 has more gun for you to get your bear paws on (more similar to Tanfo Stock 2 in size).

WEIGHT
Gen 1 after milling and deltapoint you are still several ounces under weight. I run the brass version of scales 2.0 grips and am still at least 1/2 ounce under weight.
Gen 2 as noted above there's some work to make weight but now its pretty well documented the work needed.

Like kmanick, I ordered a Shadow 2, Tungsten finish, blue grips, comp package from CZ Custom and then ordered a 2nd full upper and had them do the CO milling package. Took a while but now I have the standard slide with open sights and the 2nd slide with my C-More mounted. Love this gun!!

Shadow2_tungsten.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Rob, quick off topic question. I’m on the fence with similar question and I do like SP01 frame more then S2 . Who sells it for $880? All I can find is CZ custom shop for $1050.
Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 3/22/2019 at 3:46 PM, DIYguy said:

Like kmanick, I ordered a Shadow 2, Tungsten finish, blue grips, comp package from CZ Custom and then ordered a 2nd full upper and had them do the CO milling package. Took a while but now I have the standard slide with open sights and the 2nd slide with my C-More mounted. Love this gun!!

Shadow2_tungsten.jpg

sweet!!! which model C-more is that on there, is that the STS2?  I have a Venom 6moa on mine, I like it but I don't love it , I could be persuaded to try something else 

Edited by kmanick

sure looks like the STS2 to me..very good move to go from Venom 6moa to RTS2 or STS2 in my opinion..I owned the original STS and then went thru multiple RTS2 until they finally got it right in the 4th version of it, you don't have to worry about dependability or owning more than one anymore....the difference between STS and RTS2 was the manual intensity switch..on the STS you only had the option of half-bright or full-bright, whereas the RTS2 has a 10 position manual intensity control, not quite sure the difference between STS2 and RTS2 now that it appears they have manual intensity control on the STS2 instead of the STS 2-position intensity settings, although I heard the STS2 is a slightly smaller red dot than the RTS2..........I also tried the Vortex Venom 6moa (and the DeltaPoint Pro 2.5....hated the small dot, the controls, and eventually the dependability)...the Vortex although much less cost is a great dot for the money, but the viewing window is definitely too small (probably more suitable for rifle than pistol), so GO FOR IT, buy an RTS2 red dot and you will love it right away over the Vortex Venom

Edited by race1911

20 hours ago, MatroskinT said:

Hi Rob, quick off topic question. I’m on the fence with similar question and I do like SP01 frame more then S2 . Who sells it for $880? All I can find is CZ custom shop for $1050.
Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CZC has both 91154  SP01 Shadow $880 and 91168  SP01 Shadow Line $1050

also a two tone with AUZ barrel  SP01 Shadow. 

Send a message if need help locating.

I've had both Shadow 1 & 2 and prefer the Shadow 1/SP01 platform more. So it has been my go-to for IDPA/SSP and USPSA/production. It was a pretty natural choice for carry optics and I got an extra Shadow slide milled for a Vortex. Makes it a simple swap.

I agree with others in that I found a gun that I was.most comfortable with first with iron sights (tried other optics guns and didn't like), then translated it to optics, went well.

Edited by MoRivera

kamick: It's the RTS2R in 8moa. Ordered directly from C-More so was able to the get the 8moa at the time. I wanted a larger dot for quicker acquisition for Run-n-Gun. Bad news is about third time at the range the optic would shut of after most shots. Two trips to the range and shut off 14 and 18 times during the range time. Sent back to C-More (my time, my dime) they replace the circuit board and seems OK now. Did have to re-zero once I got it back.

The viewable window is larger for the RTS

91168 has

aluminum grips (useless)(91154 rubber grips)

steel guide rod (91154 use to be plastic)

thin safetys (91154 has medium safetys)

Hammer profile is different( does not mean the hammer hooks are better)

2 nickle plated 17rd mags ( 91154 has 3 18 rd mags)

91168 has
aluminum grips (useless)(91154 rubber grips)
steel guide rod (91154 use to be plastic)
thin safetys (91154 has medium safetys)
Hammer profile is different( does not mean the hammer hooks are better)
2 nickle plated 17rd mags ( 91154 has 3 18 rd mags)

Thanks 85, so I guess if I'm planning to replace the grips anyway and remove sights in favor of red dot there is no reason to go with SL

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk