Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

200 gr LSWC load for STI Target Master

Ceapea

Hello,

I'm a new owner of a very nice condition, used STI Target Master. In getting familiar with the pistol, I couldn't help but notice the extreme ease to cycle the slide by hand...racking the slide. Much reduced effort compared to several of my 5" guns with "std" recoil springs (16#-17#). Anyway after some searching on line, I found info that STI used 14# springs in their 6" 1911 pistols. Can anyone here verify that? I'm not sure what I have in the gun currently. Maybe the previous owned changed it to something lighter for some pet light load. I do have a brand new Wolff 14# spring and tried it out in the gun. Feels very similar, if not the same. But not positive. 

So, now the real question. Having not shot it yet, and not wanting to damage anything, I am looking for a lighter loading for the 200 gr LSWC that will reliably cycle the slide. And lastly, if 14# is std for the Target Master, will firing factory ball ammo be too much for it? Or in other words, is the Target Master only for target loads? I have used 4.3 and 4.8 gr of WST and the 200 LSWC in my 5" guns. While not hot, both seem a bit stout for the very light feeling spring in the STI.

Thanks,

Ceapea

Edited by Ceapea

John Browning designed a great pistol that is not as sensitive as so many want you to believe.

An occasional use of ball ammo will be fine. You have a TARGET gun, for lighter loads. Like the Gold Cup. I have fired thousands of rounds through my Gold Cups with light target and heavy loads without any issue. Added to that, you have a long slide, which adds weight. Slide weight and recoil spring weight and main spring weight need to be balanced, so heavier slide, slightly lighter recoil and mainspring can be used.

For details, call STI.

You may want to start off with competitive Bullseye loads and work up. With WST, start at 4.0gn and work up. Max is around 4.7-4.9gn

On 3/19/2019 at 8:28 PM, noylj said:

John Browning designed a great pistol that is not as sensitive as so many want you to believe.

An occasional use of ball ammo will be fine. You have a TARGET gun, for lighter loads. Like the Gold Cup. I have fired thousands of rounds through my Gold Cups with light target and heavy loads without any issue. Added to that, you have a long slide, which adds weight. Slide weight and recoil spring weight and main spring weight need to be balanced, so heavier slide, slightly lighter recoil and mainspring can be used.

For details, call STI.

You may want to start off with competitive Bullseye loads and work up. With WST, start at 4.0gn and work up. Max is around 4.7-4.9gn

Thanks,

I tried WST at 4.2, 4.4 and 4.6 gr. The 4.4 worked the best so far. I also like Red Dot and Bullseye. So loads with those two will soon come along. I have been shooting full power, and some mid range, ammo for years. Even when shooting PPC, I usually use hotter (4.8 WST) loads in my 1911s. I am familiar with mouse fart loads for my PPC revolver, 2.3 gr Bullseye, and have had great success with it. I just never stepped down the big boy 45.