Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Has anyone ever been hurt by a 180 violation ?

Hi-Power Jack

vote with your wallet... Tell said Ftard to shove it and leave report to Area Director and National HQ to pull this guys sanction for being  a blatant rule violator..
That or cry about it online and do nothing

I agree a lot of my local USPSA matches really test the 180 rule.  Especially at the start of a stage.

Don't see it as much in IDPA but some of the bigger matches have had some close shots. 

It does slow me down but I do wish they wouldn't push the envelope so much.

• 1 year later...

Just because we’ve never seen someone get hurt by it…. Doesn’t make it safe. I still get super nervous when new shooters come up to shoot. I find myself looking for something/someone to hide behind. 

• 1 year later...
On 10/17/2019 at 8:05 PM, Joe4d said:

vote with your wallet... Tell said Ftard to shove it and leave report to Area Director and National HQ to pull this guys sanction for being  a blatant rule violator..
That or cry about it online and do nothing

There's a local match near me where there often is a target set at 179 degrees when the shooter is standing at the back of the shooting area.  I don't shoot there anymore.  I feel the stages are unsafe.  There are plenty of other local matches available that I can go to that have much safer stages.

The people I've seen actually hurt/severely injured at a range had nothing to to with the 180. That is true.

• drawing and reholstering
  • ricochets
  • bad steel placement
  • trip and fall
  • environmental hazzards like sun, bugs, cold, allergies
  • nd from themselves or another competitor
  • props and other in situ features

Had an older guy at a match last summer got his feet tangled up and went down hard and was literally on top of the loaded gun with it pointing uprange.  The 180 break actually occurred as he was going down.  I was standing about 10 feet directly behind him and saw it all happen in slow motion.  He was pretty banged up, probably had a concussion from the impact.

On 12/30/2022 at 3:29 AM, ltdmstr said:

Had an older guy at a match last summer got his feet tangled up and went down hard and was literally on top of the loaded gun with it pointing uprange.  The 180 break actually occurred as he was going down.  I was standing about 10 feet directly behind him and saw it all happen in slow motion.  He was pretty banged up, probably had a concussion from the impact.

Similar thing a few years ago here in Australia, older Open shooter moving across the stage lateraly and slipped, lost control of the gun as he fell and it ended up underneath him muzzle pointed towards his face. Very gingerly got him up and the gun cleared, (safety was off). He was pretty beat up from the fall. 

Another was a new shooter that was supposed to engage targets from either side of a barricade. Decided that it would be easier to do a rear 360 rather than pull the pistol back and take a step to the left, much to the horror of the squad standing behind the shooting area. Only swept about 15 of his fellow competitors. 

6 hours ago, terrydoc said:

Another was a new shooter that was supposed to engage targets from either side of a barricade. Decided that it would be easier to do a rear 360 rather than pull the pistol back and take a step to the left, much to the horror of the squad standing behind the shooting area. Only swept about 15 of his fellow competitors. 

Lol, that one is always exciting 🤣🤣

• 2 weeks later...

I just saw a youtube video of a GM (don't remember who) who while running up range, facing up range, seemed dangerously close to breaking 180, if not actually doing so, with every step. The fact he even posted the video suggests he did not see anything wrong with it.

8 hours ago, eboos said:

I just saw a youtube video of a GM (don't remember who) who while running up range, facing up range, seemed dangerously close to breaking 180, if not actually doing so, with every step. The fact he even posted the video suggests he did not see anything wrong with it.

Which is why video isn't allowed in arbitration.  What looks like right on the edge of 180 in video may in fact be a long way from the 180, which is probably why he didn't see anything wrong in posting it.  It's really hard to judge angles especially with wide angle lenses.  I have many Hosercam and hat cam videos where it looks like I'm sweeping my weak hand during loading and unloading, but my hand is nowhere near being swept, it just looks that way to the wide angle lens.

Nolan

Edited by Nolan

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/18/2023 at 1:50 PM, eboos said:

just saw a youtube video of a GM (don't remember who) who while running up range, facing up range, seemed dangerously close to breaking 180, if not actually doing so, with every step.

As I mentioned a year or so ago in this thread, if a target array appears to be close to the 180 or exceed it then get the stage reviewed. Don't let the stage planner suck us into a DQ.

Now as far as moving and being"close to" the 180, so what. Was it unsafe? No. Being "close" to the 180 is part of the sport and stage planning.

2 hours ago, HesedTech said:

if a target array appears to be close to the 180 then get the stage reviewed. 

Being "close" to the 180 is part of the sport and stage planning.

Uhh…….

22 hours ago, Sarge said:

Uhh…….

Sarge if you don't believe me look at any stage with a lot of movement, especially those which start down range and have to move backwards. Think about it, many stages do not start up range and move only forward.

Additionally you edited my two comments, so let me clarify for you.

At our matches we have multiple people look any the stages before the match is started to make sure of at least three things.

1. Are they USPSA legal. You'd be surprised how often it is found the stage has targets outside of the rules.

2.Are there dangerous or range prohibited issues. Example some rages will not allow berm side shots or angles allowing over berm shot angles.

3. Is the only angle a target can shot is ridiculously close to the 180. 

4. Yes a competitor can challenge the stage and yes we have thrown stages out because of these challenges.

Hope this clarifies it for you.

Edited by HesedTech

show of hands, how many RO's  have issued a 180 DQ to a shooter breaking a 180 shooting at a target ?  
I havent RO'd in a while but I can recall exactly zero.
Shooters slipping/tripping / falling.
Right hand shooters moving right to left along a barrier reloading,
Joe Cools speed reholstering missing the holster and rotating barrel backwards,,, usually coming right after a flip and catch.

6 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

how many RO's  have issued a 180 DQ to a shooter breaking a 180 shooting at a target ?  

I have, and I have seen it happen where other ROs have DQ'd shooters for that reason.  But it is not necessarily from shooting at the target, to where it is more of the body moving out of position before the gun does, or what would seem is their shot calling is holding the gun in place because they didn't see what they wanted to see on the last shot and the body starts moving out of position before the gun does.  

If you are specifically facing the target while shooting, no.  I have not seen that.  

Point being,, ALot of chatter about targets being set close to the 180,, but in my observation,, have never seen that as the reason for the DQ..
Walls parallels to a back stop,, running down range with targets to the side and running faster than you can shoot, trying to be a cool dude, or simply a trip, fall stumble..  which is why we have multiple overlapping safety rules,, 

So while few have been hurt by a 180 violation, thats specifically because we also have finger rules, range setup rules, RO supervision rules,,  alot has to go wrong for there to be an injury.

On 10/16/2019 at 10:34 AM, Trentmopar said:

I hate the 180 rule because so many people try to set up their stages to get you to break it. If we are truly concerned about safety in this sport then keep targets closer to 160 so that it isn't a temptation.   My thoughts have always been DON"T PLACE TARGETS NEAR 180!!!  

Exactly!