Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Sign in to follow this  
Ihrtuspsa

Sub major pf with 124 g4 that are loaded to majo

So my major is hs6 at 7.8 to 7.9 grains they are already loaded to 1.1575. I bought a new chrony chronograph and works great. But I think some of the bullets I had had inconsistent seat depth so the rounds on the higher end toward 1.16 were showing less than major velocity but I was wondering I it is safe to assume I can measure all my loaded rounds and reseat them to 1.150 that way my velocity goes up a bit to make major. I have no pressure signs at 1.1550 but since some rounds are coming in at 1322fps, if I reseat said rounds to 1.150 I should gain some velocity back to get back up to major. However the 124gr hbfp have been the most consistent and accurate round I've loaded yet but to avoid being bumped to minor can I safely reseat down a bit?

I used to load HS6 at 1.145" and up to 1.170", and saw very little difference in velocity.

How many of these do you have on hand ?   I'd use them for practice and work up a 

load that makes major for comp shooting.     :) 

Okay thanks will do going be using the 124 grain Berry's Hollow base Flat Point thick play I just worked out loads for that those shoot amazingly fly and very consistent on the chronograph. Thank you

Is there anyone else that thinks seating from 1.15 to 1.495 could make the ditterence in power factor. Most loads are major but some come in at 1325 shooting a 124gr bullet.  I think the projectiles I am using just have too many variations. I was gonna try it tonight and see if it helps and then gonna load 10 or 20 at .1gr heavier and see if that does it. I do have a solid backup tho with the berry's 124gr thick plate hbfp

Edited by Ihrtuspsa

If you are running that close to not making Major, I would put in more powder, if all says it is safe.  What you are loading may make major where you are and never make it at a single match.  The next possible would be using a different chrono to see if it is reading right.

I started with a crappy Caldwell,  then confirmed with a friends,  fps was pretty close between those 2, but I wanted a high quality chronological,  like the kind I see at majors so I bought a chrony master. 

Your load of 7.8 is a little lite for major, reseating will prob not help. Get the PF up to around 170 to be safe. You will probably end up at around 8.2 hs6.

Edited by RiggerJJ

I chronod again today with the 124 gr hbfp and bumped up my load to 7.9 and achieved 170pf. I think I can safely go up to 8.0 and 8.1. I just set aside the other ammo for practice.  Thanks guys.