Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock Frame Modifications

hamiltonian

I really like the 1911 grip angle and shoot open and limited with STI framed 2011's.  I am interested in shooting carry optics and have a Glock 34 with a DeltaPro sight.  However, I have trouble picking up the dot since I have to push the Glock down compared to the 1911/2011.  Could a Polymer 80 frame be considered a legal Glock frame modification for Carry Optics?  The Polymer 80 frame has the familiar 1911 grip angle.

@MemphisMechanic I do not believe that pictured frame would be legal in Carry Optics.

Appendix D7, Sec. 21.4 states "Grips may not be modified to create a thumb rest or beavertail.

I read that to mean that the support-hand thumb area on the frame can be stippled for friction, but cutting any sort of ledge which creates a positive incut upon which the thumb would rest would be prohibited.

On 3/14/2019 at 8:39 PM, MemphisMechanic said:

No. The frame is the gun that has to be on the production list.

Appendix D7, Sec. 21.4 states "Grips may not be modified to create a thumb rest or beavertail.

hanks for the clarifications!

Edited by hamiltonian

On 3/14/2019 at 8:39 PM, MemphisMechanic said:

No. The frame is the gun that has to be on the production list.

You can, however, have your existing frame modified with a grip reduction into whatever you like - and that is completely legal.

So on a different not but still kinda the same lol. My limited gun has a frame hump on it (I'll attach pics) where the frame has been built up a bit then stippled, also I was wondering g if I re worked the inside of my magwell as it a bit beat up. I was thinking about filling it in and smoothing it out like my XD magwell is done. Also no finger grooves and a double under cut trigger gard. Would this be production legal? 

20190321_081615.jpg

Yes. As long as you don’t bend & flare the bottom of the grip outward to turn it into a magwell. You can throat the opening in the bottom of the frame to keep square edges from hanging magazines up, but you cannot heat & bend the grip outward.

Avoid that. And avoid anything that could serve as a thumb rest. And do whatever you like.

For reference on what is allowed on the underside of the gun? This is 100% positively certainly legal. I sent this image in to DNROI and Troy OK’d it very quickly and enthusiastically.

:D

Before is in the top right, modified Tanfoglio in the other two images: